Sally 4th try

Reserved for grow logs - Plant Pictures/Videos

Re: Sally 4th try

Postby nothim » Tue Mar 08, 2011 2:21 pm

it is too hot , try to use the ice pack method!!!

do not overwater!
nothim

Postby DanG » Tue Mar 08, 2011 9:33 pm

yeah, i'm still waiting on techniice to arrive.
I hope for nothing. I fear nothing. I am free.
-Nikos Kazantzakis

Use Your Cellphone Camera for Close-up/Macro Photography
DanG

Postby DanG » Thu Mar 10, 2011 3:08 am

So i got my ice pack yesterday and it's been in the freezer for 24 hours.
I placed the 12cell techniice in a large styrofoam container and after 15 minutes i got the temperature to 20'C (outside temp is 30'C). I will monitor the temperature till tomorrow so i can have a benchmark to how many times i need to replace the ice pack.

Here's what i'm planning to do since i don't have a shiitake spawn as of the moment.
plan.png
plan.png (23.83 KiB) Viewed 8749 times

I figured i only need a decent sized hole for sunlight to go through because light reflects on white surface.
The goal here is to get a constant 20-25'C temperature while only replacing the icepack once a day.
Again i am in a tropical country that has a mean temp of 30'c. You people think about heating, i think about cooling! :lol:
-Nikos Kazantzakis

DanG

Postby Ulmdorgr » Thu Mar 10, 2011 3:27 am

Crazy! The problems we have to solve just to accommodate the plant... I think it's funny.

Your idea should work, but I am worried about the plant not getting enough light.
Anything that I post is fictional and is purely part of my imagination. Do not attempt any of the activities described above.
Ulmdorgr

Postby DanG » Thu Mar 10, 2011 4:06 am

This is really for shiitake cultivation. That mushroom will never grow at 30'C lol. If i can get it to 20-22'C then i'll be a happy man :)

For salvia, If they don't get enough sun then i'll just buy one of those LED's. Ice packs + led's? I think that is still economical :geek:
-Nikos Kazantzakis

DanG

Postby DanG » Mon Mar 14, 2011 5:10 am

So did what i illustrated a few posts ago. Styrobox, techniice, and a small hole covered with plastic. (I'll post pictures tomorrow or the next)

Findings:
Temperature cools to as low as 22'C(at night) 24'C(day) which is good for sally.

The window is too small for sufficient sunlight to enter. If it's for shiitake it's okay but for plants it's no good. I'll cut up a larger hole at the bottom in a few days or so.

12 cell techniice that was in the freezer for at least 24 hours can last 6 hours in the styro container before the temperature reaches 27'C. Not bad at all! So my rotation will be 3 ice packs a day. 9AM-3PM-9PM. I don't need to cool the container during 12AM onwards since the temperature is already at optimal for sally. (27'Ci-sh).

------------------------------

Two of the plants (1 and 4) are struggling to survive, i gave it 2-3 weeks to adapt but they didn't get better so it's ice pack time for them :) I'll monitor for a few weeks and i'll update by then.

In about a month's time i'll make one of those peltier coolers. I've already bought 2 130watt peltier chips in ebay and it should arrive after 3-4weeks. I'll post a guide soon but in reality i'll just follow this one:
DanG wrote:
The whole device cost as followed:
Power supply unit from an old PC: FREE
Old LGA775 heatsink from old PC: FREE
1, 91watt peltier chip: $2.50
Thermal grease: $5
Corsair H50 CPU cooler: $65
Silicone sealant: $10
Total: $82.50
From: http://www.aquariacentral.com/forums/sh ... rium/page2

THANK YOU INTERNET!
-Nikos Kazantzakis

DanG

Postby DanG » Tue Mar 15, 2011 1:23 am

So here they are now.
Day 55:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected] ... 145071795/ or
http://flyingketchupbottle.multiply.com ... /39/Day_55

Daytime temperature inside the container averages 27'C.(min 23'C) outside is 30-31'C.
They are finally improving. The color is getting greener by the day. I'll keep them in this environment for now :)
-Nikos Kazantzakis

DanG

Postby nothim » Tue Mar 15, 2011 11:43 am

ok,

try to let light in too!
find a method for that , use double wall polystirene box with a frame top(or lateral) of some double layers of plastic foil set on a frame somehow, or figure out something, they need light too!
nothim

Postby DanG » Tue Mar 15, 2011 8:40 pm

The light they get is like the sun when it's about to break during dawn. Once i get my peltier kit i'll construct something that has a bigger window.
-Nikos Kazantzakis

DanG

Postby Ulmdorgr » Wed Mar 16, 2011 1:40 am

Yeah just make a clear enclosure and seal it over the peltier rig and voila.
Anything that I post is fictional and is purely part of my imagination. Do not attempt any of the activities described above.
Ulmdorgr

Postby DanG » Mon Mar 21, 2011 11:37 pm

I'm just waiting for the peltier chips to arrive. Maybe a 2-3 more weeks..
The techni ice method seems to be having a good effect on the plants. I still keep them in the stryo container with the same small window/hole and they are doing fine. The sun is really bright over here, i even needed to move the container a few feet away from the window because it was too much.

Day 62:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected] ... 198395109/ or
http://flyingketchupbottle.multiply.com ... /40/Day_62
-Nikos Kazantzakis

DanG

Postby nothim » Tue Mar 22, 2011 12:11 am

use more ice packs!

try to lower the temp how much you can ---pull it around 18-20 celsius

they are ok----if you manage to lower the temp, do not take the plants out from that environement after that , until the temp outside is somehow the same, otherwise you will shock them instantly and the may not recover!
nothim

Postby DanG » Tue Mar 22, 2011 12:37 am

we will never have 18-20'C over here that's why i don't use a lot of ice packs. It's summer time now and outside it's 32 to 33'C so it's too hot. I want the temperature at a constant 26-27'C because that's the night time temperature.
18'C is like our chiller/fridge lol. That's not normal in a tropical country like ours :lol:

The browning was the effect of heat from last month. The leaves curled and got damaged and it's just now that they are browning. But the growth is still doing great and that is my basis for the plant. Old leaves will eventually die.

Please understand that we don't have the same climate :D The only snow we'll ever see is from the ice scrapings of our freezer :lol:
-Nikos Kazantzakis

DanG

Postby nothim » Tue Mar 22, 2011 12:55 am

it was about the artificial clime you have to mimic for the plants.....
nothim

Postby DanG » Tue Mar 22, 2011 2:38 am

Yeah. I'm just following this for now since i'm using the icepack method(very tedious):
The ideal temperature range for the plant is about 15 - 27C (60 - 80F). They will readily tolerate temperatures about 10C (18F) above and below this range but the plants tend to grow slowly outside of their ideal temperature range. It also prefers a fairly moist atmosphere and will be happiest when the relative humidity is above 50%. Dry air tends to cause the plant to put out deformed growth.

Once i get the peltier chip i'll bring the temp down to the low 20's. If i use icepacks and want to keep them in 20'C i need to change them every 2-3 hours! I don't have that big of a freezer to accommodate all that ice. So this will do for now :)
-Nikos Kazantzakis

DanG

PreviousNext

Return to Show Room