Forced Fruiting!?

Everything else. If you don't know where to post a topic, post it here.

Forced Fruiting!?

Postby unstable » Sun Apr 04, 2010 6:13 pm

Since I'm on the plant-growing bandwagon, we had a pineapple for the holiday and my son said "I want to grow a pineapple...save the seeds."
Well I did some research and apparently you can cut the crown off of the pineapple, stick that badboy in a cup of water and when roots start to form then you can plant it in soil...then if you are lucky, in a couple of years the plant will be capable of bearing fruit. Just in case anyone was wondering...

But I found this quite interesting and I thought I would share this information with everyone here as it may apply to Salvia or some of the other interesting species that we deal with:

Forced Fruiting

It is best to force the plant to flower during the winter months when the days are cooler and shorter as this is when a pineapple is accustomed to making fruit.
The first technique is to lay the plant and pot on its side between waterings. This interferes with hormones in the plant, causing the production of another hormone, ethylene, which induces flowering.

A second method of inducing flowering is to place the plant in a bag with two ripe & bruised apples for two weeks. Move the plant to a shady location during this time, and then move it back to its sunny spot. The ripening apples produce ethylene gas that will induce flowering in the pineapple.

A third method is to place a small lump of calcium carbide about the size of your little fingernail in the center of your plant and pour a quarter cup of water over it. This will release acetylene gas that will force your plant to flower. To improve your chances of success, it is best to treat your plant in the evening after the sun goes down and temperatures are cooler. (Calcium carbide may be obtainable at a welding shop, garden store, pharmacy or toy store.)

Two to three months later, the plant should form a flower spike in its center.
...She said all energy is only borrowed, and one day you have to give it back.
unstable

Re: Forced Fruiting!?

Postby nothim » Sun Apr 04, 2010 11:26 pm

if you are into that, make sure you remove the leaves from the lower part of the crown til you get half a centimeter or more revealed---you will see small dots, the roots will form from there, ---if placed in water---do not leave it with direct sun, and no more than 20 celsius either, a shady spot with lots of light will be fine, --important--- the water level in the glass will drop----make sure you top up with water at room temp !!!! --do not leave stagnant water to stay there, on the west window will do fine----about the flowering ----it is only for this plant -which is special --it contains some weird chemicals in it -----if you try to make a jelly or a pudding with pineapple you will not succeed , cause the chemicals in it will brake down the organic materials from the gelatin, thus, pepper is added (in order) to counteract this .

eheee --lots of stories with pineapples and mango ----

if anyone into mango ---just ask, but remember a mango from a seed has to be grafted to bear fruits otherwise you will only get pleased with the decor mango

regarding pepper----never use pepper, saint john's wort, gingko biloba, sex, black chocolate, silk tree flowers, lemon balm, valerian, coffee, bannana, other stimulants or enery drink, or other antidepressants with 'psyhoactive substances'-----
nothim

Postby jeanlery2010 » Wed Apr 21, 2010 8:15 pm

It is not an issue to force a plant to bear fruits. It depends upon the gardener if he wants to have an early harvest, in fact there are procedures that can be done in order for the plants to produce flowers as early as you want. I probably haven't tried the process yet, and I'm very interested to experience the method of forced fruiting.
jeanlery2010

Postby RocketeerJim » Sun May 30, 2010 2:28 pm

As you probably already know, in the Cannabis growing world flowering (budding) is forced by, among other things, limiting the number of hours of light to mimic the natural shortening of the day during flowering season. Does this also apply to SD?
RocketeerJim

Postby nothim » Sun May 30, 2010 3:20 pm

yes, it does, but no light what so ever during dark period.
nothim

Postby Ulmdorgr » Sun May 30, 2010 4:43 pm

SD's flowering period is extremely sensitive, which makes artificial lighting with timers a definite requirement.

Jim, check out http://members.cox.net/sageseeds/ if you haven't yet.
Ulmdorgr

Postby RocketeerJim » Mon May 31, 2010 10:28 am

Well, control of seeds is one method to deprive the populace. It seems to be happening with Cannabis at this very time. One of the problems I see with the "dispensary" mechanism of the Prop 215 program is that many if not most of the offerings are without seeds. So I suppose it is adviseable to try to produce them even if, or rather, especially because, they are so rare and difficult to come by. It can only get worse if States continue to outlaw SD.
RocketeerJim

Return to General Discussion