Using salvia in a vaporiser

The different ways to consume/use Salvia divinorum and other entheogens, personal rituals, and trip reports.

Using salvia in a vaporiser

Postby Trylski » Thu Jun 10, 2010 3:52 pm

As per the title, Is it possible/safe/effective?

Discuss :D
Trylski

Re: Using salvia in a vaporiser

Postby Ulmdorgr » Fri Jun 11, 2010 3:08 am

Boiling point is 1400 °F; a typical vaporizer (one meant for cannabis) only heats to about 350 °F. Theoretically, yes it is possible, but probably not with the consumer equipment available on the market.

Safety, I don't know. I haven't read any research papers on the gas transport of salvinorin A.
Ulmdorgr

Postby Trylski » Fri Jun 11, 2010 9:56 am

So what sort of temperature does a blue flamed torch style lighter get to then? I assume not 1400F, I assume when smoking it in a joint the idea is to get the leaf to burn so the salvinorin enters the lungs still bonded to something then? Rather than simply vaporising the oils its present in?
Trylski

Postby ChemistKen » Fri Jun 11, 2010 11:00 am

Well when one smokes salvia they are likely never going to vaporize pure salvinorin A but rather get the salvinorin A mixed with numerous other chemicals and ash...

And although to vaporize pure salvinorin A a temperature of around 1400F is needed, the salvinorin A from the leaf is not pure and therefore the temperature needed will be different, and further using physical chemistry theory the temperature will be lower because the melting point/boiling point of a mixture is always lower then the pure substance...I wonder what the boiling points of the other salvinorins is?
ChemistKen

Postby RocketeerJim » Fri Jun 11, 2010 11:29 am

Ok. Well I guess it's time for me to express my ponderance:

I smoked my 20X and 60X from the pipe depicted below. After each hit I noticed "crunchy" ash in the bottom of the bowl. And I re-hit it until it was no longer crunchy. But I was using a basic bic lighter.

Then I saw a post that talked about the 1400 degree boiling point for Sal.A and the 1100 degree output of the Bic. I thought those were degrees Celsius, not Fahrenheit. Confirmation anyone?

While cleaning my pipe one day I removed the bowl to find a rather hardened, shiny crusty protrusion stuck to the bottom surface, just above the threaded shank of the bowl.

I had an epiphany. If the Sal.A's boiling point is 1400 degrees and the lighter puts out 1100, perhaps that protrusion was Sal.A!

So I scraped it off with an exacto knife, put it into the bowl, and lit it with my brand new torch lighter. The result? I did not experience a "Wave" effect like we usually do nearly right away. Instead, I got a very strong "body high" accompanied by quite loud ear-ringing and some mild, faint visuals. I also became very philosophical and introspective in my thinking. Not really a lot in common with a MJ buzz. And this effect lasted for about two hours. I sort of viewed it as an "afterglow Plus".

So, my ponderance is this: does the "plant material" in SD burn off at a lower temp than is required to burn Sal.A? And if so, does burning SD with a basic 1100 degree bic lighter burn off that plant material, leaving a runoff of Sal.A that then congeals to the bottom of the pipe bowl as it cools? That is how I would characterize my experience. Geez, did I make Sal.A hash?
Attachments
DSCN0343.JPG
RocketeerJim

Postby Ulmdorgr » Fri Jun 11, 2010 11:07 pm

Those are degrees F, Jim. Salvinroin A's boiling point is 760.2 °C/1400 °F.

I wouldn't be surprised if you had melted salvinorin A in your pipe. It seems plausible.

Ken, you might be interested in this: http://www.entheogen.com/forum/archive/ ... t-404.html
Ulmdorgr

Postby ChemistKen » Sat Jun 12, 2010 7:02 pm

vaporization is definitely not a good way to separate the salvinorins because it is not all that simple(not like a distillation) in the case of leaf matter, and like i was saying there may be some interactions between sal a and other components helping it be carried over below its vaporization point...

And 1400C would be insanely hot...but yea I would recommend a cheap little torch lighter...wondering how hot is too hot..temp. of decomposition.
ChemistKen

Postby jasonsalvia » Tue Jun 15, 2010 7:49 am

I've read that vaporizing salvia is not safe, because it is difficult to gauge how much you are inhaling since its just vapor. I've read that some people take more then expected... and at that point there is no turning back...
jasonsalvia

Postby Ulmdorgr » Tue Jun 15, 2010 11:46 am

Well it ain't gonna kill you! Well... physically, that is =)
Ulmdorgr

Postby jasonsalvia » Tue Jun 15, 2010 1:11 pm

Ulmdorgr wrote:Well it ain't gonna kill you! Well... physically, that is =)

Well it may kill your ego =)
jasonsalvia

Postby RocketeerJim » Wed Jun 16, 2010 7:30 am

:twisted: DIE, EGO, DIE!!!
RocketeerJim

Postby Ulmdorgr » Wed Jun 16, 2010 12:38 pm

That's your ego talking, Jim. =)
Ulmdorgr

Postby jasonsalvia » Tue Jul 20, 2010 9:29 am

Ulmdorgr wrote:That's your ego talking, Jim. =)

hahahaha, very clever

Did the subject ever try the vaporiser ?
jasonsalvia

Postby Trylski » Fri Jul 23, 2010 11:19 am

I'm waiting til the end of august before taking some leaf from my plant. She's a little wilty at the moment possibly due to the current low humidity. Having some good growth at the moment though so end of august should have some oppurtunity to gather a lil. Will try making a lightbulb vaporiser.
Trylski

Postby sircrf » Fri Jul 23, 2010 11:28 am

Trylski wrote:I'm waiting til the end of august before taking some leaf from my plant. She's a little wilty at the moment possibly due to the current low humidity. Having some good growth at the moment though so end of august should have some oppurtunity to gather a lil. Will try making a lightbulb vaporiser.

I have tried the light bulb vap and I wouldn't suggest doing it. Getting the bulb not to break when you first do it is difficult and when you smoke salvia I was disappointed. Plus the safety of a light bulb is sketchy. Inside there is probably some heavy metal that you dont want to inhale. I mean maybe you want to try it but I would suggest to just leave it be. From my personal experience.
sircrf

Next

Return to Methods of Use