Methods to extract SA?

The different ways to consume/use Salvia divinorum and other entheogens, personal rituals, and trip reports.

Methods to extract SA?

Postby sicknick1222 » Fri Apr 16, 2010 4:32 pm

I was wondering if there was a way that you could extract the SA out of the leaf itself.. maybe like how hash oils are made from marijuana? what are you thoughts?
Show a man how to smoke.. and he will live in happiness... Show a man how to grow.. and he will become happiness...
sicknick1222

Re: Methods to extract SA?

Postby Ulmdorgr » Fri Apr 16, 2010 9:26 pm

I'm unfamiliar with hash oil extraction, but as far as I know Salvinorin A isn't contained in a resin like cannabinols are. If you look at the trichomes where salvinorins are produced, it appears as an emulsion (Siebert's description). That is, it's like flakey dirt or dust. Just random crystals strewn about. Since I am unaware of any resinous substances, I hypothesize that any salvinorins outside of a trichome will end up on the ground (as I understand it, the majority of the trichomes are on the bottom).

You should familiarize yourself with this document (I recommend saving a copy in case it is lost in the future); it has some good pictures: http://aob.oxfordjournals.org/cgi/repri ... eytype=ref

Since salvinorins form crystalline structures, a typical extraction is an attempt to acquire a small pile of those crystals. Cannabis and s. divinorum are very different.
Anything that I post is fictional and is purely part of my imagination. Do not attempt any of the activities described above.
Ulmdorgr

Postby ChemistKen » Fri May 07, 2010 11:51 pm

you would have to have appropriate solvents and distillation apparatus on hand and a little knowledge of chemistry....likely it would require a fractional distillation and extraction to get a good amount of the crude crystals, which then would likely need to be purified, either by recrystallization or even in a flash column depending on the purity of the crude crystals.

:ugeek:
ChemistKen

Postby ChemistKen » Fri May 07, 2010 11:58 pm

:ugeek: And of course obtaining sal a crystals should only be done by a professional for research, of course... :|

And why would one want pure sal a crystals for anything besides research...ingesting them would not be a good idea... :?
ChemistKen

Postby Ulmdorgr » Sat May 08, 2010 9:26 pm

Well, you can apply the crystals across leaf material to create standardized extracts... Maybe he's starting a business. =)
Ulmdorgr

Postby ChemistKen » Sun May 09, 2010 11:02 am

oh yes that would be a business....unless you have a knowledge of chemistry then I wouldn't try to get sal a crystals, instead use greater than 90% ethanol, methanol or isopropyl alcohol and extract chemicals from ground up leaves, the solvent(alcohol) can then be evaporated off and the extract spread on the leaves...much safer to do for the average joe to do and cheaper, unless you know a chemist that could safely acquire sal a crystals, but still I do not suggest or support the use or ingestion of pure sal a crystals since adequate research has not been done on that yet. :ugeek:
ChemistKen

Postby Ulmdorgr » Sun May 09, 2010 11:45 pm

Or sell the crystals to labs... but they probably do it themselves. To "smoke" Salvia divinorum is to vaporize and absorb the crystals. I wouldn't try it, dosing that would be SO difficult.
Ulmdorgr

Return to Methods of Use