leaves wilting and falling off w/o browning

Help On Growing Salvia Divinorum

leaves wilting and falling off w/o browning

Postby SemanticIncident » Thu May 26, 2011 3:31 pm

So, I got her in March, and she was all happy and perky in her little pot. Some time in April I transplanted her to the bigger pot, and she grew big and strong for a while. About a week ago though, I noticed that a little shoot down close to her roots started wilting and then died off. I amputated the section, thinking it was stem/root rot, even though the stem seems pretty firm. I also applied chamomile and a tiny bit of baking soda to the base of the stem to try and kill off any fungal infections.

Since then, the problem has gotten worse. The base of the stem, where I applied the baking soda/chamomile, has turned nearly black, although it still feels firm. The wilt/dieoff is starting to work its way up higher on the plant, and I'm seeing more drooping leaves. I'm trying to let the soil dry out a bit in base I overwatered her. I'm also planning to try and gently remove her from the pot and investigate the root system, and perhaps change the soil. I saw small white nematodes when I dug around a bit but I don't know if they are beneficial or parasitic.

I'm worried because I'm going away for Memorial Day weekend and anxious that I'll come back to find her dead :(

Growing conditions:
Indoor next to an east-facing bay window that is heavily shaded by a maple tree (virtually no direct sunlight)
Miraclegro potting mix
air-conditioned, approx. 77F (could this be drying out her leaves? it seemed like this started happening before I even turned on the A/C)
No fertilizer applied yet

Should I try to cut off the top and root her while I'm gone? Or, should I put her outside under a tree and hope that the natural humidity this weekend helps her heal?

I'm really afraid that if she dies, she won't like me :(
Attachments
3.jpg
2.jpg
1.jpg
SemanticIncident

Re: leaves wilting and falling off w/o browning

Postby nothim » Thu May 26, 2011 3:52 pm

take cuttings,

the green part is alive .

use only the green part!
nothim

Postby SemanticIncident » Thu May 26, 2011 3:56 pm

Update:

I gently dug her up out of her soil to look at her roots. The root system looks quite small and stunted, and some of the roots look dead.

As I dug further into the pot, I found that the soil was quite damp towards the layer below where the roots end. In fact, I could actually wring some water out of a handful of the soil by squeezing it!

What I've done is:
- Emptied out the wet soil
- removed the snap-on tray from the bottom of the pot (I think that was interfering with drainage)
- filled the bottom of the pot about a third full of aquarium gravel to improve drainage
- repotted her in a mixture of the old, wet soil (which I wrung out as best I could) and some new, dry soil
- put her outside in the shade to dry out a bit more
Attachments
5.jpg
some of her roots look dead :(
4.jpg
her and her root system
SemanticIncident

Postby nothim » Thu May 26, 2011 11:13 pm

take cuttings my friend and put in the humidity tent, not outside!

what is above the rot is still alive !

take how many cuttings you can , save the green stem aswell , and use small pots , and put them in a bag or a humidity environement......
nothim

Postby SemanticIncident » Wed Jun 01, 2011 12:52 pm

Update: I've got her outside now with the new, well drained potting situation and she seems to be doing better. There is new growth and browning on the leaves appears to have ceased. Stay tuned!
SemanticIncident

Postby Ulmdorgr » Wed Jun 01, 2011 2:04 pm

Yeah the bottom soil being wet doesn't sound good. That's how you get root rot to form. Gotta have it drain well so that the soil dries up and requires you to water.
Anything that I post is fictional and is purely part of my imagination. Do not attempt any of the activities described above.
Ulmdorgr

Postby cbu48 » Wed Oct 12, 2011 12:10 pm

take cuttings...

and leave the black stem in the pot and keep it wet, add some yeast of beer and wait few month... i have my plant using this tip.

good luck.
cbu48

Postby SF » Mon Oct 17, 2011 7:10 pm

looks like root rot to me also. You need to have 1/3 perlite in the soil mix and only water the plants when the soil dries out. Over watering or soil holding water for extended periods will cause root rot and other mold that will kill your plants. You can fix to dry you cant fix to wet. keep the soil healthy and your plants will be healthy.
SF
Site Admin

Return to Salvia Divinorum Cultivation