Heathy Plants turn less healthy with soil and season change

Help On Growing Salvia Divinorum

Heathy Plants turn less healthy with soil and season change

Postby SalviaBrujo » Wed Jan 11, 2012 11:34 pm

o/ Hi SD forum!
I've had these two lovely SD plants for almost 9 months now if memory serves
They were healthy and Happy All winter and into spring living outside in limited sunlight.
As the temperature rose I obviously took preventative measures to ensure they weren't shocked by the heat
But as you Can see, either from the layer of new soil (containing wetting agent, i have suspicions it may be poison) or the temperature and humidity change,
They suffered. I Think a Lot. The Smaller Plant, The Daughter, has started rejecting branches as well as blacking off new growth, I am beginning to get Very worried about them.
Pictured first is some of the damage done to My Mother Plant
sally1.jpg

The Main Stem of the mother plant pictured, right side, An Example of one of the two larger leaves remaining and the damage being done to them
Sally2.jpg

A Close up of some new growth damage on the Daughter Plant
Sally3.jpg

An Overall view of the daughter plant, notice stunting, leaf and stem damage. :C
Sally4.jpg

I Am Open to Any Suggestions To Help Keep them Alive, As I Have a great sentimental Attachment To them.
SalviaBrujo

Re: Heathy Plants turn less healthy with soil and season cha

Postby SalviaBrujo » Mon Jan 16, 2012 7:46 am

It Seems Google Bot was the Only One to have time to View my Post This Past Week, Unfortunately it Didn't Have any Advice to Offer.
Ive Moved the Plants inside into a Room with a Frosted Glass Window. Its The Best i Could Do For Brightness Without Direct Sunlight (Which Can be Pretty Harsh Where I am)
Ive Also Held on the Water over the last week, as Both of Them are being prepped for New/better/specific soil and maybe larger pots.
Again, Any Suggestions as to Why They are not growing lovely and healthy like They Should (and Deserve To!) And How to Remedy The Situation Would be Greatly Appreciated!
SalviaBrujo

Postby nothim » Mon Jan 16, 2012 11:37 am

you need humidity !!!
use a humidity tent!
nothim

Postby swatch » Mon Jan 16, 2012 12:04 pm

I agree with nothim.

I've been a parent to 8 salvia plants, and unfortunately lost 4 of them over the course of last year. The 4 I have left are doing well, and it's because of two things:

1) humidity tent. My salvia plants love between 60 and 70% humidity.
2) Do NOT overwater your plants. I know without a doubt the reason the first 4 plants died was because I overwatered them. A nervous new parent, I wanted the best for my new plants, but in an effort to make sure they were happy, ended up drowning the roots. One of the best things just happened to me three days ago--for the first time, I actually had one of my plants "talk" to me. I woke up in the morning, and as I normally do, I check in with them, say hello, and give them a little health check. Everything looked great. I went about my day, and came back after lunch. I just happened to walk past my greenhouse, and looked in, and one of my plants was completely wilted and leaning over. I almost cried! Then I remembered what several members of this forum said...your plants will let you know when they need water. Knowing that, I quickly sprung into action and gave the plant a drink. I made the soil moist, and, wishing I had a time-lapse camera, I watched the plant drink up the water, and it went from wilted and leaning, back to normal in less than 2 hours! So, the lesson I learned that day is your plant WILL tell you when it needs water, and if you give it more than it needs, you will almost certainly drown it.

I hope this information benefits someone, but it has been circulating in these forums for a long time by seasoned professionals at caring for our plants. Thanks to all those whose articles I've read. You guys have helped me tremendously!

SalviaBrujo: I hope your plant survives!
swatch

Postby SalviaBrujo » Mon Jan 16, 2012 7:12 pm

*Puts Humidity Tent Back on, Looking Around To See if Anyone Saw My Failure :D*
So There's No Issue with Soil With Water Holding Agent? something tells me. I Don't Know what, That either the plant has tried to absorb some (o.0) or that it is working more like a Waterlogging agent :D
I Hear Its a Good Idea to change out ones soil every few months? I Feel silly for not doing my last repot as properly as I Now Realize I Could've. Washing All the old soil from the roots etc. I Kind of just found some nice soil that was nice and sandy but rich in nutrients and put the small pots worth of soil into the waiting big pot!
I'd Prefer not to have to buy a HUGE bag of perlite to mix a bit of it into the soil as it doesn't come in any small bags lol. are there any natural options I Could use instead?
Should I Wean Mother And Daughter Back into Their Tents? or Just Pop Them In and See How they go In a Few days?
(They've been out of tent for quite some months now)
thanks for all the help so far guys!
You've Filled me with confidence!
Hope to Hear More from you soon. I'm off to go buy a Bigger Humidity Tent!
SalviaBrujo

Postby Ulmdorgr » Tue Jan 17, 2012 1:47 am

Humidity, overwatering, being rootbound, and pest problems are pretty much the main causes (some cause others). Good luck!

Humidity levels affect circulation in the plant. Overwatering will suffocate the plant. Being rootbound will suffocate the plant, limit growth, and maybe cause root rot. Pests will just kill your plant.

Humidity and watering are #1. Root issues are less likely. Repotting is only necessary if there is a problem.
Anything that I post is fictional and is purely part of my imagination. Do not attempt any of the activities described above.
Ulmdorgr

Postby SalviaBrujo » Tue Jan 17, 2012 3:00 am

So From the Sounds of things The Only Real issues I Should have at the moment Should be Humidity and Water.
it seems that the soil nearest the actual plant is still moist but the larger pot mass is getting dry.
Whats the chance of it getting pot bound in Pots Such as These?
SalviaBrujo

Postby swatch » Wed Jan 18, 2012 12:13 am

If you're referring to the pots you have shown in the pictures, those things are HUGE. I can't imagine being root bound yet. The plant would have to be 4 feet tall I would imagine. I don't have a plant that tall yet...just saying. hehehe I think your pots are fine. I put a TINY bit of perlite in my soil mixture, but not too much, as I found it kept the roots too wet. Your mileage may vary, but I'm just saying what worked for me is the humidity tent, and stopping myself from watering! Now I know the plant will tell you when it needs water. If you don't want to wait for it to "talk" to you, maybe just put a shot glass full of water every 4 or 5 days. hehehe I'm serious...these plants really do NOT seem to like water at all. It's all the humidity here in my greenhouse. (which I guess IS water in a sense. hehehe)

Anyway, good luck. As I have mentioned before, I read over many articles on this forum on how to care for these plants, so I just let it sink into my mind, and then I tried some techniques and they worked (humidity tent and WAY less watering) for me. OH, and no direct sunlight. A humidity tent AND direct sunlight = death of a salvia plant.
swatch

Postby SalviaBrujo » Wed Jan 18, 2012 5:14 am

The Only Issue I Still Face Is Location. My House Is Made of thick stone and The Windows Leave some to be desired on the ways of light.
as long as a room Is Lit, with natural sunlight, but not directly on the tent, will that do?
SalviaBrujo

Postby swatch » Thu Jan 19, 2012 12:26 am

I went to the local hardware store and bought myself two really cheap ($20 each) grow lights, and hung them with some zip ties at the top of my greenhouse. I replaced the purplish colored lights with: 1 blue spectrum and 1 full spectrum. These lights are not more than 15w each, which doesn't product a lot of electricity, but also doesn't give much in the way of lumens or whatever, but it seems to really work for my plants. They have been doing very well in their own little biosphere. hehe. I open up the humidity tent once a day to say hello to everyone, check to make sure the damned fungus gnats aren't multiplying, and of course check the soil with my finger to see if it's drying out. If your soil seems to be staying too moist, you might need to use less perlite. Again, I am not an expert farmer. I am just letting you know what has been working for me in the hopes that you can get your own little greenhouse going, too, and have some positive results. There is nothing quite like looking at/touching these sacred beauties, and knowing you're keeping them going.

I wish you the best.
swatch

Postby SalviaBrujo » Thu Jan 19, 2012 1:41 am

Thanks a Lot Swatch, Though as Meager their power usage may be, I Would Probably Get complaints from my father if I put in 12 hour cycle lights.
However there's an update!
I Went To Bunnings And bought This! ^-^
Packaging.jpg

And Put It Here! :D
Location.jpg

I Also Noticed This When I Was Putting Them in their new home o.0
New Growth.jpg

And Here Is My Humidifier 8| Doritos Salsa With Perlite And a Dash of Water!
Doritos Approves.jpg

I'm Not Sure how Much It has Effected the Humidity, I've Given it a Few Mists around the Walls to Get it Started And of course the Doritos Humidifier
I've not Yet Got a Tool of Measurement For Humidity (nor do I Know how to pronounce such a Thing:D) However I Do have a Thermometer Hanging in the Tent, It Reads 25'c. Almost Perfect.

The tent Doesn't have a Sealing Bottom, in Face There May Even be a Small Amount of Air Movement Through it. Is This Beneficial or Should I make a Plastic Tray for it to sit into and seal?
SalviaBrujo

Return to Salvia Divinorum Cultivation