Help please - is this Salvia Divinorum?

Help On Growing Salvia Divinorum

Help please - is this Salvia Divinorum?

Postby Sacred Valley Girl » Thu Oct 13, 2011 9:20 am

IMG_5376.JPG
Matches description (square stem), but leaves don't match all the web photos. Perhaps a hybrid?
IMG_5376.JPG (51.54 KiB) Viewed 3547 times
Found growing in our garden in Peru.
Thanks!
Sacred Valley Girl

Re: Help please - is this Salvia Divinorum?

Postby Ulmdorgr » Thu Oct 13, 2011 9:17 pm

It's probably a salvia, but divinorum I'm not sure. How tall is this plant? How big are the bottom leaves? Don't worry about the coloration (light vs. dark leaves or whatever). The leaves look very much like it, and so do the whorls, although I don't see the fuzzy white parts of the corolla (inside of the purple part).

Check out a real divinorum, like RocketeerJim's:
Anything that I post is fictional and is purely part of my imagination. Do not attempt any of the activities described above.
Ulmdorgr

Postby Sacred Valley Girl » Fri Oct 14, 2011 7:14 am

Thanks! The plant is actually a small tree about six feet tall, with sparsely growing narrow, square, bare and spreading branches. It started blooming when we moved here afterI pruned it quite aggressively as it was dormant and hadn't been tended. Definitely is a salvia of some sort, and about a month ago, some -not all - of the spires had a few white corolla (don't recall if they were fuzzy). No white flowers now - is that seasonal? The petals are indigo - a very deep purple. I love it because it attracts hummingbirds and when researching 'salvia care' to find out how to keep it blooming I found a shamanic site that had a pic of what appeared to be an exact replica of my plant on its home page. Which is what led me to this forum. Most of the plant (probably six or seven years old) is woody, and the leaves and flowers grow at the ends of the bare branches, which are as long as five feet. The leaves are slightly downy and a little bumpy (as you can see in the pic), and I've read that divinorum leaves are 'hairless' ... but they look exactly like some pix on the net that are labelled as divinorum - which is why I came to you guys, the experts... as you know the net is full of misinformation if one is not careful. Anyway, I am attempting to grow some from cuttings, but they are taking a long time to root. If they do manage to sprout some, I'll have an idea what the lower leaves look like in seedling form.
Many thanks for your advice.
Saludos from the Sacred Valley
Sacred Valley Girl

Postby nothim » Fri Oct 14, 2011 8:18 am

no, it is not!
nothim

Postby RocketeerJim » Fri Oct 14, 2011 9:04 am

Well, why don't you smoke some and give us a trip report anyways? What harm can it do?? :lol: :lol:
Life is short and you only get one. It is yours so use it selfishly. Find your true path and follow it. Be true to your own convictions. And love each other.
RocketeerJim

Postby Sacred Valley Girl » Fri Oct 14, 2011 12:47 pm

Yup, thought of that... am drying a harvest now ... will let you know. :roll:
Sacred Valley Girl

Postby Ulmdorgr » Fri Oct 14, 2011 6:07 pm

Actually, divinorum does have "hairs", but they are microscopic, :D. The hairs I'm talking about are two of the four types of trichomes that grow on the surfaces of the leaves and calyxes: short-stalked and long-stalked capitate glandular trichomes.

The size of your plant makes it sound like it isn't salvia divinorum. How much care do you give it? None? Because if not, and if it's salvia divinorum, you found the perfect place to grow it.
Anything that I post is fictional and is purely part of my imagination. Do not attempt any of the activities described above.
Ulmdorgr

Return to Salvia Divinorum Cultivation