Dreamyone's traditions

Guides on how to make things

Dreamyone's traditions

Postby dreamyone » Fri Apr 23, 2010 1:48 pm

Hello, i'd like to share traditions and practices from my place.
For this day i'd like to tell about sauna traditions.
Rituals of sauna house were very important thing here in ancient times (well nowadays traditions r coming back to our life). Women would have babies only in sauna house, most sterile place. There would be path leading to sauna house from living house, during some fests it would be decorated with herbs, especially with hops - important herb for girls. Brides were decorated with hops before christianity here. Hops symbolizes virginity.
It was believed that souls of ancestors would visit sauna house too and there were some deities of sauna too. Before first cup of water on sauna stones, people would speak prayers to them.
Important thing is herbal broom for massaging person in sauna. First of all, person would pray to tree or plant and say that he/she will use its little branches for this purpose. Than it would be made into broom, which would be soaked in cold water a bit and then would be used to massage person in sauna. Broom can't be placed on floor and can't be used for sweeping floor - it is offence to massage brooms.
Oak brooms have smooth leaves and r used for men, they r believed to be most powerful ones, so only healthy people can be massaged by oak brooms.
Linden brooms r used for women, they r believed to have gentle energy.
Birch brooms r universal ones, women, men and children can be massaged by these ones. Their thin leaves stick to body well and leave their healing substances on skin.
Nettle brooms r special ones. They r made from young nettle plants and broom is soaked in hot water before using in massage. They have stimulating properties and might be used for rheumatism problem.
There r lots of other brooms, u can use mixed plants and ur own recipes. (someone could experiment using hemp broom for example, also nowadays people use eucalyptus brooms too)
Temperature in sauna should be +60C, +70C and it shouldnt be too humid. Sauna rituals should last 2-4 hours (at breaks u should rest in cold room and drink spring water, cooled herbal teas, natural fruit juices, alcohol-free beer, light food). Also u should take showers at breaktimes. Besides broom massage, people can be massaged by special herbal oils and ointments, because skin pores open due to heat and absorb these healing substances.
At the end, all people should be happy, feel like new born and would go out singing songs or humming sounds (Aaa- rejuvenating sound, mmm - clearing ur mind, o - stimulating emotions).
Actually thats not all, if anyone interested, ask, i will try to tell more.
dreamyone

Re: Dreamyone's traditions

Postby nothim » Fri Apr 23, 2010 1:58 pm

nice!
nothim

Postby dreamyone » Fri Apr 23, 2010 2:05 pm

thanks, what should i tell another time? healing with herbs and by nature, local witchcraft, nature worship, traditional recipes of local ancient beverages?
Or i will choose topic by myself.
dreamyone

Postby Ulmdorgr » Fri Apr 23, 2010 3:41 pm

I like your list. Why not just do one at a time, in the order you wrote?
Ulmdorgr

Postby dreamyone » Sat Apr 24, 2010 4:19 am

Using herbs and nature to heal person
Herbs have been used by local pagan priests for ages. It is believed that in every plant there lives spirit or deity, in some plants major gods live, while in others ancestors live. So before picking herb u should say to it, that u r sorry to pick them, but u need them to heal person.
Herbs r most powerful if they r picked on the most sacred festival for locals, festival of dew, on June 24. This day is dedicated to deity of medicinal herbs and all nature spirits.
List of some herbs and their properties:

*Mugwort branches - are used against stomach ache, depressive mood and worms. Freshly made tea will be dark green and will have weird flavour. Also it is used as oneirogen, dream enhancer. U can use it ass additive to most herbal teas, because it is kinda universal herb.
*Hops buds - are used in making drinks. Has benefiting effects for women's body. Can be used as mild sedative, sleep aid and stress reliever. Water with hops must be boiled for ~10 minutes and then cooled and used for healing purposes.
*sweet calamus/sweet flag root (acorus calamus) - is used to add flavour to breads. Hair can be washed with its tea against dandruff and weak hair. If u want to gain weight u should chew some pieces of its root before every meal. It also cleans ur stomach from infectional diseases.
*Wormwood branches - are used against stomach ache and worms. Freshly made tea will be green and will be very bitter for some people. Use it rarely because it contains chemicals that r toxic if used regulary.
*Valerian root - is used as mild sedative and oneirogen, dream enhancer. Also u can use it as recreational drug for ur cat. (if u want it to use as oneirogen, drink valerian tea every night for at least one week)
*Oak acorns are very sacred things which contain lots of masculine power. Use only fallen acorns which can be found under oaks at autumn. Acorns grinded and roasted in pan. Can be used as coffee substitute, because tea has kinda similar flavour and has stimulating properties.
*Birch buds r collected at spring when they r green. Birch bud tea is used for tuberculosis, gastritis, other stomach problems. Also wounds can be washed with cooled tea.
*Nettles can burn ur skin if u touch them, so they r collected carefully. People with rheumatism problem should get nettle therapy (body should be softly brushed with fresh nettles). Dried nettles do not burn any more. So tea from dried nettles is used as diuretic to clean ur blood, as stimulant, also anemics should have cup of nettle tea once week (more regular use is harmful and have opposite effect because of oxalic acid).
*Chamomile flowers are very gentle for us. Tea can be used everyday, it can stabilize mood, help to cope with cold and sneezing. Inhalation of tea steam helps people during flu and fever. Women can add some chamomile flowers to their bath because it's very benefitial for skin.
*Linden flowers are collected at the end of summer. They have sweet and gentle flavour. It is used when person has flu or fever, because it helps to sweat. It should be used along with honey (Tea to increase sweating: Linden flowers+honey+hot water)
*Dog rose flower petals and fruits (rosa canina) - tea can thicken ur blood, so people with high concentration of trombocytes in their system should not use this. Tea from fruits must be filtered through cheese cloth, it can be used for weak blood, anemia. Tea from petals can be used regulary as refreshing drink.

Other things:
Honey is very benefiting substance. It contains bunch of vitamins, minerals and other things good for ur body. One should not use too much honey, recomended dose: one tablespoon everyday. It has stimulating properties and can increase libido. Drinks from honey were used here by locals only for ritual purposes and honey was veyr respected substance, hard work fruit of bees.

Amber. Use only real, natural amber pieces. Amber was burned as incense for ritual purposes and jewellery is believed to have magical properties (protection and sun energy). U could add some pieces of natural amber to jar, fill it with slightly warmed spring water and keep it for one night OR pour some hot water on natural amber and wait for 15 mins as for regular tea. Then water contains yons of succinic acid, it is antiseptic, also believed to be stress reliever, mild stimulant, used to strenghten weak people.

Being in forests. Find clean from garbage, natural and wild forest. Wear light and not synthetic clothes (light so u can notice mites, u can use levander oil to scare off mites, mosquitos and other bugs). Lie down on natural cloth of linen, cotton or hemp. Breathe calmly and feel energy of forest, raise ur hands with palms facing u. Feel the energy, feel ur connection with nature. Best place for such practice would be near leafy tree. (masculine tree, only for healthy people - oak, feminine tree - linden, universal tree - birch, tree helping teens and love problems - bird cherry, tree increasing fertility - acacia). Use this wisdom for connecting with nature and healing purposes.
dreamyone

Postby Ulmdorgr » Sat Apr 24, 2010 12:49 pm

Where are you from, dreamyone? This is some awesome information! Please continue.
Ulmdorgr

Postby dreamyone » Sun Apr 25, 2010 3:15 am

I'm from this country in europe:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OStISjdmmSI
dreamyone

Postby Ulmdorgr » Mon Apr 26, 2010 12:23 pm

That's awesome. I wasn't aware you guys had traditions like that.

Good video/song, thanks for sharing.

I'm sad that salvia divinorum is illegal where you're at =/
Ulmdorgr

Postby dreamyone » Mon Apr 26, 2010 12:59 pm

Thanks. If u r interested in folk of ours here one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F6lLUtUjI0Q&playnext_from=TL&videos=Y1EHG-k908g
This is dance for cannabis, because cannabis has been sacred to us for ages, until christians came here, destroyed the most sacred forests, sacred fields of cannabis and killed all aurochs. There is nothing sacred for them. But well, many grannies are still growing cannabis, my neighbour (~90 years old) used to grow it in her greenhouse and everyone could see it :D Grannie power rulez :!: :D
Cannabis goddess Vaisgamta, was also goddess of green nature. She was worshiped by girls. But somehow christians made my ancestors believe that it wasnt goddess, then it became god Vaisgamtas, and finally belief that nature is mother of us was washed out of their brain... :(
Well at least, nowadays traditions are coming back to our lifes.
dreamyone

Postby Ulmdorgr » Mon Apr 26, 2010 6:15 pm

Ah. They dress very scandinavian-like. Cool. That music is terrible to perform a folk dance to. What a shame.

I feel the same sorrow for all of Europe. Christianity engulfed all culture that it touched.
Ulmdorgr

Postby dreamyone » Tue Apr 27, 2010 4:22 am

music is okay, because it is tune of folk song with folk songs lyrics, but just performed by modern instruments. If u want something more pure here:
This is plain song performed vocally+drum, very archaic sounding - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8SJzbynM5nE It is about sunset, sung at sunsets.
dreamyone

Postby Ulmdorgr » Tue Apr 27, 2010 3:48 pm

Sounds awesome. Thank you!
Ulmdorgr

Postby dreamyone » Wed May 12, 2010 5:24 am

Gira is traditional beverage with very low percentage of alcohol (~1vol.) so it can be given to children. We have lots of gira varieties, and all contain benefitial things for your health. Its rich in B group vitamins and other elements (varies from ingredients of gira).
Real gira is made without supermarket yeast, but its easier to make it with it.
"Medaus gira" (honey gira)
For honey gira u will need: 3 liters of water, 7 tablespoons of honey, 8 raisins, hops, beer yeast.
Add good handful of hops buds to water. Boil it for 10 minutes. Strain the hops out. Turn off the heat. Let it cool for a while and mix in honey. Make sure honey dissolves well. When temperature of this mixture is about +30C, pour it in clean pot with lid. Throw raisins and 2-3 teaspoons of beer yeast in. After u added yeast, do not move container, put the lid on. It needs to be in warm place (+20C, +25C) unmoved for 24 hours.
After 24 hours, strain the mixture into clean container and put it into fridge. Keep it here for another night and u can drink it then. If u made it good, it will be sweet, bitter and fizzy.
For strawberry gira u will need: 3 liters of water, 1 cup of strawberries, 1 cup of sugar, 8 raisins, beer yeast.
Add strawberries and sugar to water. Boil it for 2-3 minutes. Wait till it cools down to +30C, pour into clean pot with lid. Don't strain out anything. Add beer yeast and raisins. Keep pot in warm place for 24 hours. Then strain it to another container and keep it in fridge for another night. Then u can drink it.
There are lots of varieties, so if anyone from other countries succeed in this, i can give more recipes. (like traditional bread gira or new variations of giras, like coffee or pineaple gira)
dreamyone

Postby dallanh » Wed Jul 06, 2011 1:14 am

@Dreamyone I have thoroughly enjoyed this post. I had never read that different herb brooms were used for healing.

Does your country have a person that acts as a natural healer; similar to a shaman?

I wonder if you have any way to test someone and then bring them in to balance; or even the concept of such a method. I'm thinking of something like Vata/Pitta/Kapha in the Ayuverda tradition. Instead of using herbs to treat a specific symptom; do you have a way to merely bring someone fully back in to balance?

Thank you for this information. I find it to be of high value.
dallanh

Postby Ulmdorgr » Wed Jul 06, 2011 10:28 am

Yeah, I too think that it's really good info.
Anything that I post is fictional and is purely part of my imagination. Do not attempt any of the activities described above.
Ulmdorgr

Next

Return to Recipes & Construction guides