Salvia Divinorum Strain's

Salvia Divinorum Mass Distribution Project.

Salvia Divinorum Strain's

Postby childishaztec » Sun Feb 07, 2010 5:48 pm

Hi well I'm new here, 8-)

But as I was looking around, I heard other members talking about Strains.

So I was wondering what are they?(I'm thinking they are different types of S.D. plants or mixed S.D. plant with another plant)

And how are they different?

So far I heard about the "Blosser Strain" and " Wasson & Hoffman Strain " and was wondering what other types of Salvia Divinorum Strains are there? (so yeah if you know of anymore please post them here along with why its a new strain/different)

thank you for your time.
childishaztec

Re: Salvia Divinorum Strain's

Postby unstable » Sun Feb 07, 2010 9:22 pm

Here is some good information from Siebert's site:

http://www.sagewisdom.org/clones.html

I'm pretty new to horticulture myself, but what I gather is that each "strain" the result of sexual reproduction of the plants via pollination. Much like human males have sperm and females have an egg that is fertilized by the sperm, some plants produce male and female flowers that require pollination. The male flowers release pollen that needs to reach the female pistil...sometimes this is done by the wind, other times by bees or other insects...it can also be done purposely by humans using an artists paintbrush. The result of a successful union is fruit which bears seeds that has the traits and genetic makeup of the two parents (if cross pollinated / 2 different plants are involved). I guess it's also possible for a single plant to pollinate itself, whereby certain flowers are male and other flowers are female.

With cross pollination, one can selectively BREED plants that have desireable traits, much like dogs are bred.

For whatever reason, Salvia Divinorum rarely produces seeds....it would need to flower and the whole above deal would need to happen...I could be entirely wrong but it doesn't seem like there has been much scientific attention paid to Salvia. There are quite a few individuals like Siebert and many hobbyists that grow salvia, and they have made forward progress in understanding the plant better (Siebert having discovered the active psychoactive compound in Salvia without being a Doctor as far as I know)...but the study of the plant in a laboratory environment I don't think has happened.

As such, nobody really knows why salvia doesn't produce seeds very often. Maybe it's that most people are interested in the leaves and not the seeds and it's just as easy to clone a plant by taking a cutting...Which is what nearly all accounts on the internet say for how the plant propogates (or reproduces). Rather than doing the sexual reproduction thing, the plant thrives until it reaches a certain height where it cannot support itself any longer and it tips over, the broken piece of the plant finds its way to the ground where it sets up roots and begins growing a seperate salvia plant...But really that means of reproduction is no different than cloning a person. The gene pool (and traits of the plant) are limited.
Any problems with the plant are passed onto all clones.

As I was saying, I'm not sure if the lack of seeds could be attributed to people not putting the plant into a flowering stage...But even still, if we're all dealing with the same strain of the plant, than what good would it be to pollinate it with another clone of itself?

I could be entirely off base with everything I just said, if so, I hope that someone will correct me and set us both on the right path. :D
...She said all energy is only borrowed, and one day you have to give it back.
unstable

Postby nothim » Mon Feb 08, 2010 7:20 am

http://members.cox.net/sageseeds/

http://www.salviasource.org/forum/gener ... um-clones/

http://salviadivinorumblog.typepad.com/ ... osser.html

my point is that are only 3 naturally discovered strains, those two you said and a luna strain
lunas.jpg
luna strain
lunas.jpg (155.73 KiB) Viewed 14406 times
, the others are from seeds, so if you get a plant to flower and make seeds (see the first link) and succeed with growing plants from seeds then you can call those strains whatever you like .....cause they have different caracteristics.....

I struggle for years to flower and I had no chance cause I live in a f up place with bad conditions for flowering ---this year , i think it will be the last attempt .
nothim

Postby childishaztec » Tue Feb 09, 2010 12:10 am

O I see.

I want to get my hands on a luna strain, looks awesome(also i like the name).
childishaztec

Postby Ulmdorgr » Tue Feb 09, 2010 12:35 am

Creating hybrids would be very fun.
Anything that I post is fictional and is purely part of my imagination. Do not attempt any of the activities described above.
Ulmdorgr

Postby nothim » Tue Feb 09, 2010 6:57 am

yes, indeed, I am looking forward for the end of this month to see if i get any chance on flower, meanwhile i will get in touch with qualified growers on different plants and trees to see how they x breed species.......

i think the number of cromozoms got to be the same in order of this cross b to happen.

anyone here who has any idea on this subject , please post your thoughts here, it would be nice......
nothim

Postby Ulmdorgr » Tue Feb 09, 2010 12:27 pm

I thought they only flower in October.
Anything that I post is fictional and is purely part of my imagination. Do not attempt any of the activities described above.
Ulmdorgr

Postby nothim » Tue Feb 09, 2010 1:36 pm

it is about the light period -----that was all about that crazy rig......

so in this region the light is different

naturally it occurs in january, but weather was harsh so I am not sure if they will get to flowers anylonger....

check this

nothim

Postby Ulmdorgr » Tue Feb 09, 2010 7:35 pm

Yeah that was the article I was getting my info from.

Buds were observed in late October. Flowering began on 10 Nov and continued until early January 1981. All specimens bloomed. Similar results occurred during 1981 and 1982.

I assume that was the winter season. If you're growing inside, I guess you just need to give your plants like, what, 10 hours of darkness each day?
Ulmdorgr

Postby nothim » Tue Feb 09, 2010 10:32 pm

more, ..... 12-14

now , we got from 5 p.m. until 7. a.m. in the morning, ----during this time here, there is no sun , i had that problems in the past with some stupid posts lights outside that spoiled the process, they have to see no light in this period, at all.

but it will be like that only one month , i think, after that we-ll get to change the hour or the clock , do not know how to say it, so this dark period will decrease fast with 2-4 hours , in one month, so taking in consideration that there are no flower buds forming at the moment, i do not think that they will get that time in one month from now on.....

how funny though, Bulgaria , the south neighbour, has it alll, here is 1 meter snow ,and they got nice weather there , and kick ass botanical gardens with banana trees and other tropical plants......
nothim

Postby childishaztec » Mon Feb 15, 2010 11:16 am

Nice, hope you due cross breed the plant(though hope it doesn't lose any of it's effects in the process) it would also be nice if it gave a fruit.
childishaztec

Postby SF » Tue Feb 16, 2010 12:46 am

I found this site a long time ago. I have always wanted to try this method once i get large enough plants.

check it out
SF
Site Admin

Postby nothim » Tue Feb 16, 2010 11:37 am

admin, its about the light period --size do not count..... i tried it --and light messed them when they were about to open buds....

@childishaztec , it better does , you can not call them effect, it is like it will happen 'something' or it will not, this ain.t mj,
nothim

Postby childishaztec » Tue Feb 16, 2010 12:56 pm

Nice link. It had great info and I liked the pics.
childishaztec

Postby SF » Thu Feb 18, 2010 8:33 pm

boolie2010 wrote:admin, its about the light period --size do not count..... i tried it --and light messed them when they were about to open buds....

Yes i am well aware of that lol i have been growing Salvia for around 5-6 years. But thanks for the advice. I was saying i need to get bigger plants before i flower them, Meaning my plants are very small 6-8 inches. I want at least 3 foot plants before i would bloom them. Just to make sure you get plenty of flowers to pollinate.

My first priority being sending out cutting on this forum but, sometime before the end of next summer ill flower what i have.
SF
Site Admin

Next

Return to SDMDP