Legal issues

Salvia Divinorum Mass Distribution Project.

Legal issues

Postby unstable » Wed Jan 27, 2010 8:19 pm

So I was just on youtube and I noticed someone from Australia requested seeds from SF...too bad Salvia Seeds are so far and few between, which is all besides the point. This got me thinking about the legality, because I couldn't remember if Salvia was legal in Australia or not, and then I had another thought.

I wonder what the law says about MAILING something that is legal in my residence to a place where it is ILLEGAL. I know this is gray area that alot of people probably wouldn't want to touch, but I'm interested no less. I do know that overseas there are particular medications that can be purchased over the counter that require a prescription here in the United States. Anyone overseas could open up an "online pharmacy" and take orders over the internet. If I were to place an order from here in the United States, I'd be in hot water if the shipment was snagged by customs...I'd be interested to know what legal recourse the United States government could take against "Citizen_X" who is in "Country_X" sending out things that are perfectly legal there.

The main point here is...say Salvia is illegal in Australia. If I were to send cuttings to a friend in Australia, wouldn't he/she assume the responsibility of the cuttings being snagged by customs? Especially considering that I could probably put whatever name and return address that I want on the package before I sent it out...tracing it back to me would be very difficult and besides, completely legal here.

feel free to moderate if this is inappropriate...I just had the thought of getting salvia to as many places as humanly possible. If it is not illegal for me to send something, and the liability falls on the recipient, than it's not illegal...really...gray... :D
...She said all energy is only borrowed, and one day you have to give it back.
unstable

Re: Legal issues

Postby Ulmdorgr » Wed Jan 27, 2010 9:58 pm

Simple answer:
The U.S. will probably not let you get away with shipping illegal content to other places. For example, I just shipped candy to England this past week, however the USPS postal worker had to review the contents of my package, verbally, to see if my contents qualified. Because they were not contraband, they were allowed to be shipped. Now, you could commit fraud and try shipping things anyways, but the recipient country has customs as well that may check. Also, the U.S. probably X-Rays all international packages.

More stuff:
Well, the recipient would be punished, the goods would be seized, and any repercussions here would revolve around international relations. For example, I was just studying the fiasco with Yahoo and France on the internet, which started/ended in 2000 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yahoo!#Naz ... ontroversy). Now, in that case the issue was much more difficult to deal with, because of cyberspace, however it brings up the issues of whether or not countries must abide by international/local jurisdictions.

Depending on political pressure, and the committed crime, nations can pursue just about anything they want. Whether the pursuit of justice is successful or not is a different question. However, if you're sued, regardless of the outcome, you're going to feel the pain financially and in terms of time spent in court.
Anything that I post is fictional and is purely part of my imagination. Do not attempt any of the activities described above.
Ulmdorgr

Postby unstable » Thu Jan 28, 2010 10:09 am

Trust me I know about how much fun it is to go to court...costs alot even if you're 100% innocent. Something that should be avoided at all costs...unless you're very wealthy.

It was just a thought I had. I have sent things to the UK before as a gift for a friend and it was never inspected on THIS end. Not sure if it was opened/x-rayed or whatever on his side though.
...She said all energy is only borrowed, and one day you have to give it back.
unstable

Postby SF » Thu Jan 28, 2010 12:52 pm

from what i have heard in the paste, you cant get in trouble for receiving but you can for sending something out. because with receiving you dont know where it came from it could of came from anywhere. If your name isnt on the package that makes it even better. but then again if your name isnt on the package the mail man/ladies might think its the wrong address.

I am not sure on this so dont quote me. but that is what i have heard.
SF
Site Admin

Postby Ulmdorgr » Fri Jan 29, 2010 12:20 am

Depends. If you send someone illegal things, then they have to try and prove that they didn't have prior knowledge of the package and/or that they didn't purchase it. But that's just in the U.S.; other places might not be so forgiving.

Unstable: I had to fill out a slip of paper for the contents of my package. That was for USPS, but I dunno if UPS/DHL has the same policy.
Anything that I post is fictional and is purely part of my imagination. Do not attempt any of the activities described above.
Ulmdorgr

Return to SDMDP