Hello from L.A county

Make A Post To Introduce yourself here

Hello from L.A county

Postby LC89 » Mon Aug 16, 2010 7:10 pm

Hi,
I'm LC. I had been growing different kind of plant from past 16 years. I loves to grow roses, orchids, and vegetables. So yes I do have a green thumb. I'm a photography student. I had never grow salvia yet nor find a affordable source. I'm growing some of orchids in s/h.
LC89

Re: Hello from L.A county

Postby BananaMile » Mon Aug 16, 2010 8:27 pm

greetings, thanks for joining the forum
BananaMile

Postby Ulmdorgr » Mon Aug 16, 2010 9:07 pm

Hello and welcome!

What kind of veggies do you grow?

What is "s/h"?

What is your price range? There are many growers in California. Hopefully there is someone local that can supply you with a cutting.

Post some of your pictures! The general discussion thread is perfect for random plant images, etc.
Ulmdorgr

Postby LC89 » Mon Aug 16, 2010 9:32 pm

Ulmdorgr wrote:Hello and welcome!

What kind of veggies do you grow?

What is "s/h"?

What is your price range? There are many growers in California. Hopefully there is someone local that can supply you with a cutting.

Post some of your pictures! The general discussion thread is perfect for random plant images, etc.

Tomato, peppers, lettuce, some Asian green.
S/H is called semi-hydroponic. It commonly use for orchids and busy people don't have time to water.
My price range is probably around $20 as for now. You know the economy is suck for finding a job now. I heard salvia are hard to grow especially without moisture.
LC89

Postby RocketeerJim » Mon Aug 16, 2010 11:16 pm

Roger that. NO moisture ---> dead Salvia plant.

There's a guy in North Orange County advertising SD cuttings on Craigslist for $15. There, now you can afford a plant! Please be sure to water it occasionally. Have you found the Salvia Divinorum Grower's Guide yet? If not I'd be willing to bet Ulmy will properly refer you to it in a little while.
RocketeerJim

Postby LC89 » Tue Aug 17, 2010 1:54 am

is it the user guide http://www.sagewisdom.org/usersguide.html? I e-mail some off my friends to locate it. Why only water occasionally? Should I let it dry out a bit btw watering like orchids or like African Violets moist at all time but not soggy.
LC89

Postby RocketeerJim » Tue Aug 17, 2010 7:23 am

That's correct. On both counts. The plant does not tolerate root rot.
RocketeerJim

Postby Ulmdorgr » Tue Aug 17, 2010 6:09 pm

People tend to over water and kill their salvia divinorum plants. She is fragile and will only grow with optimal conditions. The good thing is that she adapts well to various climates, within a certain range, of course.

The strategy for watering is not clear. She wants to be wet and in a humid environment, but if she gets too wet she'll just give up. She'll also die if she's dry, but I've heard of people going for a few days without watering and she was perfectly fine.

RocketeerJim wrote:Have you found the Salvia Divinorum Grower's Guide yet?

That's a good thing to promote, Jim. I'll add that to the "new members look here" thread.
Ulmdorgr

Postby sircrf » Sat Aug 21, 2010 12:36 am

I water mine every 5 days or so... But mine isn't doing so well so idk....
sircrf

Return to Welcome