New to the forum, looking for a cutting.

Make A Post To Introduce yourself here

New to the forum, looking for a cutting.

Postby AzraelEmrys » Thu Jun 03, 2010 12:56 am

Hey everyone, allow me to introduce myself while maintaining some anonymity. I'm 22, live in the US, and have grown one salvia plant before. When I first received it, I was overcareful, and nearly smothered my plant. Several leaves turned black and fell off, but I backed off, took proper care, and over the course of the next two weeks, I saw new growth. Fast forward a month, and I have a plant with about 15-16 leaves! Sadly, I left it at home when I went back to college. I called my brother in law and I said "Just twice a day spray some water in the humidity chamber and leave it alone." So, what's he do? He puts the plant outside where it gets to be 120 + degrees in the chamber and leaves it there for a week. When I got my plant back it was entirely black with one green leaf. I tried desperately to save it, but no dice.

The reason I want this so bad is because it'll give me a project for the summer. I'm going to Japan this september, and with enough care I can make a few cuttings myself and send them back to people here, or give a couple to my friends who I know might be interested. Right now, I have nothing going on, and if I had a plant to take care of, that would at least give me something to do once it starts growing a bit bigger.

Okay, long introduction over. If anyone has any cuttings available, let me know about pricing and shipping and whatnot and we'll hammer something out. Thanks!

EDIT: The limited success of my previous plant was done with the purchase of a 2 dollar spray bottle an 8 dollar plastic bin and a 3 dollar plastic pot and saucer. I do not have grow lights, a grow room, or anything super spectacular. Furthermore, I'm not really in any position to buy those things. I'm not looking to grow the plants on a massive scale, just mainly be able to make 3-4 cuttings (possibly more depending on growth) that I can give out before I leave. Salvia isn't illegal here, I have the drive to grow it, and plenty of time to insure that proper care is taken.
AzraelEmrys

Re: New to the forum, looking for a cutting.

Postby Ulmdorgr » Thu Jun 03, 2010 2:53 am

Hello and welcome!

Thank you for illustrating your background and exposure to salvia. I agree, equipment isn't a big deal as far as what we expect from you, but it is good to identify how much growth want to make happen.

Given our typical protocol (new members arrive, converse on the site, contribute, and help others before gaining the trust of growers) and your time frame, acquiring an SDMDP cutting may not be possible or desired. Summer is here. You can get a cutting from an online store (see the list) for under $40. The best I think a member could do for anyone is something like $15-25.

Now, I don't want to scare you off. You really are welcome here, and I want you to share your experiences even if you have to give away your plant. But if you want a plant NOW, and you want to really help the project, then buying from a business is the way to go at this point (we are still very small). We've had members come and go - we had a plant die, and one member had to go to Iraq, so even if you're only here for a few months, your presence will be felt.

Thanks for understanding and I hope you stick around.
Ulmdorgr

Postby RocketeerJim » Thu Jun 03, 2010 9:07 am

Welcome, Azrael, from sunny Southern California. I'm sorry to hear abuot the passing of your plant after so short a time.

A trip to Japan? Outstanding. Query: what is going to happen to your next plant while you're in Japan?
RocketeerJim

Postby AzraelEmrys » Thu Jun 03, 2010 9:12 am

Because of salvia's legal status in Japan, I can't take the plant with me, otherwise I totally would. So, this is meant to be just a summer project for me. I'm leaving mid September, and I didn't figure the plant would be getting very big, but after viewing one of the grow logs of another member, I was shocked by how big his plant got in just 3-4 months. So, to answer your question, depending on the size of the plant by the time it's ready to go, I would send out cuttings to people that want them, or leave the mother with my friend. Once I've established a good growing pattern, if I give him rather specific instructions for care, the plant will be a-ok. I wouldn't really entrust him with making a bunch of cuttings, so all I would have him do is water the plant every couple days and let it grow as big as it can.
AzraelEmrys

Postby RocketeerJim » Thu Jun 03, 2010 9:49 am

I can see you have thought this through, Azrael. Beng a new member to the site (just a few days now), I'm impressed.
RocketeerJim

Postby AzraelEmrys » Thu Jun 03, 2010 11:56 am

Thank you very much. Another positive thing I just realized is the weather here right now. Salvia loves humidity, and summers here are full of it. Granted, I'll have to give the plant some indirect light as direct sunlight makes salvia unhappy in my experience. But, as the time passes, the humidity will go down thus allowing the plants to adapt. Then, when I make my cuttings and send them out, they'll be used to lower-humidity environments.
AzraelEmrys

Postby Ulmdorgr » Thu Jun 03, 2010 12:17 pm

Private message childishaztec and SF for cuttings. If they can't/won't help you or don't respond in the next week, buy a commercial plant. Good luck!
Ulmdorgr

Return to Welcome