Salvia cuttings in Thailand

Make A Post To Introduce yourself here

Re: Salvia cuttings in Thailand

Postby nothim » Wed Dec 21, 2011 11:18 pm

they do well like this too:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected] ... 404180039/
but the guys who received them either neglected them or vanished !!!!!
nothim

Postby mindbody » Thu Dec 22, 2011 12:16 am

@DanG: I have no intention to grow a field of Salvia in the open air here (it would be burned by the sun, in any case). But the humidity is high here, so I think that's good for Salvias, and I have a nice kitchen with white walls (and hence relatively bright diffuse sunlight without direct sun). It will also not get too hot inside, so I suspect that Salvia should be fine. (I also want to grow B. caapi here, and looking for plant material, but that's another story...)
mindbody

Postby DanG » Thu Dec 22, 2011 1:26 am

Zaka wrote:Irie,
So does anyone here have the ability to make some cuttings in agar plastic test tubes????
Z

Try contacting s_henk (at) hotmail (dot) com. I don't know if he still runs his website but i got mine from him. All 5 survived without rot.

mindbody wrote:@DanG: I have no intention to grow a field of Salvia in the open air here (it would be burned by the sun, in any case). But the humidity is high here, so I think that's good for Salvias, and I have a nice kitchen with white walls (and hence relatively bright diffuse sunlight without direct sun). It will also not get too hot inside, so I suspect that Salvia should be fine. (I also want to grow B. caapi here, and looking for plant material, but that's another story...)

Ditto except for the nice kitchen lol.
I know how you feel, i've felt the same way.
Our temperature is 80'F-90'F all year. It's supposed to be cold in december right? Our lowest temps during nights is 75F.. imagine that! Our humidity is high as well. Salvia just doesn't do well in a climate like ours.
This is just my experience, maybe i'm a lone wolf here. Try your luck if you want :) Good luck on your journey :)

If you have fruit seedlings or viable seeds, i can trade those for caapi cuttings(cielo).
I hope for nothing. I fear nothing. I am free.
-Nikos Kazantzakis

Use Your Cellphone Camera for Close-up/Macro Photography
DanG

Postby mindbody » Thu Dec 22, 2011 2:20 am

DanG wrote:If you have fruit seedlings or viable seeds, i can trade those for caapi cuttings(cielo).

Well, obtaining fruit seeds is not a big deal in SE Asia, but is there anything in Thailand that is not in the Philippines?

I also have viable seeds of Acacia confusa, which I can share.

Any chance of getting red or black caapi instead of cielo?

Did s_henk (at) hotmail (dot) com ship Salvia cuttings to you?
mindbody

Postby DanG » Thu Dec 22, 2011 3:26 am

mindbody wrote:Well, obtaining fruit seeds is not a big deal in SE Asia, but is there anything in Thailand that is not in the Philippines?

I also have viable seeds of Acacia confusa, which I can share.

Any chance of getting red or black caapi instead of cielo?

Did s_henk (at) hotmail (dot) com ship Salvia cuttings to you?

Acacia Confusa is native here. I also have maidenni and simplex in my collection.
I only have the cielo strain. Go to botanical spirit. They have all the caapi you need.
I'm looking for other exotic fruits or food crops to expand my collection.
But I guess you are right, we do have the same type of fruits lol.

I bought from henk early January this year. You can try getting one from him but his website has been closed for several months now.
-Nikos Kazantzakis

DanG

Postby mindbody » Thu Dec 22, 2011 6:12 am

DanG wrote:Acacia Confusa is native here.

Yeah, right. Sorry, I forgot.

By the way, did you get a chance to try it in ayahuasca? It's more than effective. (It is also effective without additional MAOI in sufficiently large doses, in my experience, and I've always been looking for other people willing to confirm this observation, or to offer a scientific explanation for it.) There is also gossip on the Internet about the root bark of A. confusa being smoked by the natives in some parts of the Philippines (no idea if there is any reason at all to take it seriously).

DanG wrote:But I guess you are right, we do have the same type of fruits lol.

Yes, must be pretty similar. Right now, eating salak palm fruits: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Salak
mindbody

Postby DanG » Thu Dec 22, 2011 7:38 pm

mindbody wrote:
DanG wrote:Acacia Confusa is native here.

Yeah, right. Sorry, I forgot.

By the way, did you get a chance to try it in ayahuasca? It's more than effective. (It is also effective without additional MAOI in sufficiently large doses, in my experience, and I've always been looking for other people willing to confirm this observation, or to offer a scientific explanation for it.) There is also gossip on the Internet about the root bark of A. confusa being smoked by the natives in some parts of the Philippines (no idea if there is any reason at all to take it seriously).

Yes, must be pretty similar. Right now, eating salak palm fruits: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Salak

Haven't tried aya. I can but i don't have the time yet. The trip needs a lot of preparations.
Never heard of Filipinos using DMT. Haven't heard of ancestral use of any hallucinogens.

What's that salak palm? how does it taste?
-Nikos Kazantzakis

DanG

Postby Zaka » Thu Dec 22, 2011 10:29 pm

Irie,
Try contacting s_henk (at) hotmail (dot) com. I don't know if he still runs his website but i got mine from him. All 5 survived without rot.

Does he trade???
I've spent too much money trying to get this plant!!!
I am willing to trade!!! Got E.Novo fresh berries & Caapi....but cash is limited!!!
I thinking a whole bed of sally rather than an entire field!!!
Respect,
Z
Zaka

Postby mindbody » Fri Dec 23, 2011 2:40 am

DanG wrote:Haven't heard of ancestral use of any hallucinogens.

The rumor is spelled out here: http://www.shaman-australis.com/forum/i ... opic=10967

DanG wrote:What's that salak palm? how does it taste?

It's very pungent (maybe a little similar to jackfruit, but more pungent, juicy and not sticky). The tree is a small thorny shade-loving palm native to Indonesia. Perhaps the most amazing part is the scaly husk of the fruits, which looks more similar to snake skin than to anything in the plant kingdom. I've saved a few seeds... ;)
mindbody

Postby DanG » Fri Dec 23, 2011 7:27 am

Thanks for the link. I just don't think we have any history of shamanic uses. We have faith healers and "psychic fortune tellers" with a mix of feng shui... but no shamans. Maybe we had but we lost it due to being colonized for over 3 centuries.

As for the fruit. Good enough for me! Let me research on it and see if we have that over here. If we don't then i'd like to buy some or do a trade. Whatever rocks your boat :)
I just want more edible plants man!!! :lol:
-Nikos Kazantzakis

DanG

Postby mindbody » Fri Dec 23, 2011 7:54 pm

DanG wrote:I just don't think we have any history of shamanic uses.

Well, that post does not indicate any shamanic uses per se, but rather that the locals are aware of the psychoactive properties of the bark. At the same time, it may just be Internet gossip...

DanG wrote:If we don't then i'd like to buy some or do a trade.

I am not into selling such things, and I could give them for free without doubt, but, in this case, I'd appreciate a caapi cutting in return.

Are you familiar with this tree:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Couroupita_guianensis
http://www.sertox.com.ar/img/item_full/ ... 2111_b.jpg
(it's not a fruit, but flowers impressively).
mindbody

Postby DanG » Fri Dec 23, 2011 10:37 pm

I really have no idea if our ancestors knew about Acacia. Then again, i'm a city boy so i know nothing :lol:

Oh, that cannonball tree looks familiar. I've seen that in ebay. There's a seller from Hawaii who offers them. I've read that the fruit are not very tasty so i didn't buy em. But you are right, that's a BEAUTIFUL tree! They have medicinal properties though.
-Nikos Kazantzakis

DanG

Postby mindbody » Sat Dec 24, 2011 12:04 am

DanG wrote:I really have no idea if our ancestors knew about Acacia. Then again, i'm a city boy so i know nothing :lol:

So I get it you're a real Filipino, not an expat. :D

DanG wrote:I've read that the fruit are not very tasty so i didn't buy em. But you are right, that's a BEAUTIFUL tree!

I don't think the fruit is supposed to be palatable to humans, and it has a very strange smell anyway. But the tree is really impressive and very odd. The first time I saw it (in India) I said wow...
mindbody

Previous

Return to Welcome