Botany terms for identifying plant parts

A knowledge base forum.

Botany terms for identifying plant parts

Postby Ulmdorgr » Sat Jan 22, 2011 1:47 am

Flowers
  • Inflorescence: a cluster of flowers that sprout in a cone-like or "christmas tree"-like fashion. Salvia flowers appear as an inflorescence, topping off the end of a branch.
  • Petal: the leaves of a flower. These and sepals are called tepals when they are very similar.
    • Sepal: the alternative leaves of a flower, often smaller than the petals and undecorated.
  • Whorl: the term for when flowers or leaves sprout in an array around a node. Instead of having one or two branches or petioles off of a node, higher numbers appear. Salvia flowers jut out from their inflorescence in a whorl arrangement.
Stems
  • Petiole: the small branch, leaf stem, or leafstalk that leaves connect to. Salvia leaves attach to the stem via petioles.
    • Stipule: additional leafstalks that come out of a petiole. Some plants are exstipulate, which means their stipules are too small to be noticed, or not present at all.
  • Stipe: a.k.a. stem.
Anything that I post is fictional and is purely part of my imagination. Do not attempt any of the activities described above.
Ulmdorgr

Re: Botany terms for identifying plant parts

Postby DanG » Sat Jan 22, 2011 5:27 am

I never thought i would even use these plant terms. In high school i flunked my botany class because i felt at that time that i will not use them in the real world.
I maybe right during those times but i turned into a plant lover and it made me want to know more about them.
Spoon feeding doesn't work for me, sometimes i need to learn by myself and it's much more effective.

Thanks for the info Ulmy!
I hope for nothing. I fear nothing. I am free.
-Nikos Kazantzakis

Use Your Cellphone Camera for Close-up/Macro Photography
DanG

Re: Botany terms for identifying plant parts

Postby SF » Sat Jan 22, 2011 10:56 pm

thank you very much for this post Ulm
This is something i need to learn.
Very very helpful we can now use this post as a reference when describing plants.
SF
Site Admin

Return to Guides, Info, Etc.