How to make Salvia extract ( the simple way)

A knowledge base forum.

How to make Salvia extract ( the simple way)

Postby gstauber » Thu Sep 16, 2010 7:39 am

If anybody doesnt know how to make an extract here is a video that will show you how to do it. I have done it myself and its the same as smoking any other commercial product... but much cheeper :D

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid ... 031137237#
gstauber

Re: How to make Salvia extract ( the simple way)

Postby RocketeerJim » Thu Sep 16, 2010 1:41 pm

Thanks loads for that gstauber. I want to try it out with my plants' discarded leaves but I am a bit confused about the second and third washes. Are these rewashings of the original 6 grams? And why does this not result in 7X if you're taking the Salvinorin A from 6 grams and adding it to a gram of 1x doesn't 6x plus 1x = 7x?
RocketeerJim

Postby nothim » Thu Sep 16, 2010 2:02 pm

who cares?!! as long as it is bad stuff per whole regarding acetone

i would not go for it , i d rather boil 100 or more dried leaves and go for it than take that nocive chemical into my body , not that my body is in a best possible shape either.
nothim

Postby gstauber » Fri Sep 17, 2010 3:16 am

Jim: yes the rewashing is from the original 6 grams. even i dont understand why he takes 7 grams of leaves ... i always make a 10x extract...that means 9 grams of leaves on which you will pour the acetone and 1 gram of the leaves on which you will pour the liquid.

Boolie: the acetone evaporates and there is no trace of it left in the extract so you dont have to worry of anything. the companies that make salvia extracts use almost the same way but with one more chemical.
gstauber

Postby Ulmdorgr » Fri Sep 17, 2010 3:22 am

boolie: acetone evaporates. It's harmless if you give it time. That's why the "extract" (plant material + salvinorin A) isn't in a solution/liquid at the end. Acetone also degrades with UV light, so you could get one of those lamps and put it on your extract bowl for a day or two just to be sure. As long as you aren't around it as it evaporates and you have some circulation in your home or lab you should be fine. This extraction process doesn't require a large amount of chemicals so inhalation or explosions (acetone is highly flammable and heavier than air) are not a big issue.

http://ccohs.ca/oshanswers/chemicals/ch ... c_ace.html

Jim: the process shown in the video is not the basic leaf + salvinorin technique (1x + #x). In that method, they basically take pure crystals and smear it on the leaves. More effectively, they would probably dissolve it in some solvent, like acetone, and mix it with the basic leaf in large quantities. They would not put the result through a sieve. They would let the acetone evaporate (like the final wash in the video). They would also use a much smaller container. The less surface area the acetone touches, the less chances of salvinorin A will stick to it/be wasted.

All this (the video extraction) is doing is removing as much excess plant material as possible (6g goes in, a few g comes out). The concentration is not possible to calculate because you cannot weigh the salvinorin A by itself to know how much was lost during the process.

The theoretical yield for 6g should be 15mg of salvinorin A. Depending on how much plant material is left, the concentration will be altered. So if you end up with 1g of material, and you are confident in a 15mg yield, then you have 6x (15mg/1g/2.5). But you probably have more than 1g of material and probably less than 15mg of salvinorin A. Thus, your concentration is salvinorin A/total material, or mg/g. So let's say you have 1.5g, and 14mg of salvinorin A, or (14mg/1.5g/2.5). Then your concentration is 9.3mg/g, or 3.75x (4x). The 2.5 constant is a rough, averaged estimate from Siebert's findings regarding the average amount of salvinorin A per gram of raw leaf.

Edit: I went back to the video and found the part where he adds the additional (7th) gram. I don't know why he did that.
Ulmdorgr

Postby nothim » Fri Sep 17, 2010 12:41 pm

ty for the info
nothim

Postby RocketeerJim » Fri Sep 17, 2010 4:58 pm

Yes, Thaks G and Ulmy, that all makes sense. I can certainly see how the Sal.A could cling to the sides of the containter as the acetone evaporates away from it. :)
RocketeerJim

Postby DanG » Mon Dec 20, 2010 9:21 am

This is a method for making 10x B.Caapi leaf:
https://www.dmt-nexus.com/forum/default ... ts&t=12527
Can be used with Salvia too.

It uses alcohol and we all know that alcohol evaporates :) I would rather use Bacardi 151 because i will not drink that horse piss anymore. yuck!
I hope for nothing. I fear nothing. I am free.
-Nikos Kazantzakis

Use Your Cellphone Camera for Close-up/Macro Photography
DanG

Postby Bigdognick » Sun Dec 26, 2010 6:42 pm

As far as I am aware, any polar solvent will do the trick when it comes to making a salvia extract. If the thought of using acetone makes you uncomfortable, then you could use isopropyl alchohol(rubbing alchohol), ethyl alchohol(regular drinking alchohol), methanol (wood alchohol), or you could even use water if you felt like it. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, just trying to make it easier to make some extract :D
Bigdognick

Postby Ulmdorgr » Tue Dec 28, 2010 6:01 am

I know the first few of those work. I would advise against using water; if that were true, wouldn't a lot of salvinorin A be lost in rainfall/misting? Hm... the peltate glandular trichomes grow on the bottom of the leaves...

How can we tell which solvent is best? You say polar, but is having a low dielectric constant best (like acetone and isopropanol)? Or is it really specific to how it reacts with salvinorin A and the other chemicals in the plant material?
Anything that I post is fictional and is purely part of my imagination. Do not attempt any of the activities described above.
Ulmdorgr

Postby Bigdognick » Thu Jan 06, 2011 9:16 pm

Concerning the loss of salvinorin due to rainfall; I believe that Daniel Siebert discovered most of the salvinorin is located on the underside of the leaf. This could theoretically explain why little to no salvinorin is lost via rainfall.

Concerning the differing solvents. Water is definetly not the most efficient carrier of salvinorin, but the mazacects made a midly active water based preperation of salvia using an obscene ammount of leaves( like 50-60). I believe acetone is a far better solvent than isopropyl alchohol. I base that assesment on a bioassay of a man who used an ethanol and acetone tinctures sublingually and found the acetone to be more effective in equal volumes( though he commented that it "burned like a bitch!")
Bigdognick

Postby shambhu » Fri Jan 07, 2011 2:26 am

if he used acetone sublingually, that means nothing - he might have simply improved _absorbtion_ via hurting his skin.
of course, that also doesn't mean acetone couldn't be the best carrier.
shambhu

Postby Bigdognick » Fri Jan 07, 2011 6:04 pm

As far as I am aware, acetone does not increase a molecules ability to cross the mucuous membrane the way that DMSO would.
Bigdognick

Postby woodlife » Mon May 02, 2011 7:27 pm

Acetone is harmless once evaporated because it no longer exists. Like Methanol, this chemical is is an Aeromatic that leaves nothing behind. The only danger is if you get it into your skin, where it gets into the blood stream. On the other hand, Tolulene or MTBE would likely work much better, but Tolulene would leave small amounts of resedue behind depending on the purity, and MTBE woulnd't be safe to use unless you were a male, have GOOD vents, and used it in timed intervals.
woodlife

Return to Guides, Info, Etc.