Mold / Mildew / Root-Rot? / Help

Everything else. If you don't know where to post a topic, post it here.

Mold / Mildew / Root-Rot? / Help

Postby headydead » Mon Apr 11, 2011 7:21 pm

I'm new to Sally and I've herd much about root rot. I noticed some mildew build-up on the pots they're kept in and I'm wondering if I should be concerned, take action, or just see what happens.

I've had my plants for three weeks now and they seem to be doing good. They are indoor plants, kept in terra-cotta, and watered about 2-3 times a week when the soli starts to dry out a bit. The temps is consistant at 65-75F and the humidity is between 60 and 70%. They recieve 16 hours of blue light a day.

Today I rearranged the plants and I noticed some white furry mildew or mold on the exterior of the pots. There are salt stains on the terra-cotta, but this was not salt, it was some kind of mold (I wish I would have taken pictures). It was not a 'ton' of mold, but there was enough of it to make me take notice. I have no idea if this mildew causes root rot, or if any fungus can infect the roots of the plant. Being on the exterior of the pot, I have to assume it's also in the interior and in the soil along with the roots. I moved my plants and wiped off the mold, but now I'm wondering if I'm doing anything wrong or if I should be concerned with a ROT type problem.

Anyone have any insight, direction or experience with this?

Thanks
headydead

Re: Mold / Mildew / Root-Rot? / Help

Postby Ulmdorgr » Mon Apr 11, 2011 11:59 pm

Welcome! If you are not satisfied with our ability to help, I also recommend checking out SalviaSource's forum (don't buy from the shop, it's shit). I want you to get the most help possible.

You should be cleaning the outside of your pots more regularly (I assume this growth appeared over the course of a week). Although you might not be watering on a daily basis, you should be monitoring your SD plants more often.

If the "mold" is on the outside and the pot has holes, it could be on the inside, too. I would suggest re-potting to put your mind at ease and fight against infection. During that process, clean the roots of the plant and move it to a new, clean pot. Also, clean the moldy pot. Don't re-use the old dirty pot for several days while it lays dry and "sterile."

Better safe than sorry. Right?
Anything that I post is fictional and is purely part of my imagination. Do not attempt any of the activities described above.
Ulmdorgr

Re: Mold / Mildew / Root-Rot? / Help

Postby nothim » Tue Apr 12, 2011 10:14 am

it would be nice to post some photos!

it can be michelium aswell, thus it will not harm the plant---look at the base of the stem -if it is covered by a white texture , it is too much humidity there and you have to lower that somehow . -if the plant looks ok , do not worry too much , just ventilate more often and lower the humidity
nothim

Return to General Discussion