Tired after Salvia

Everything else. If you don't know where to post a topic, post it here.

Tired after Salvia

Postby Dude » Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:49 am

Greetings
I am new to Salvia, just edging my way into it, tried chewing a quid with dried leaf,nothing but a mouthful of yuck, tried smoking the plain leaf, after three or four pipes I noticed the "otherworldly" feeling and saw some interesting neon patterns,very interesting indeed. I was very tired afterwards , is that a common thing ?
As a novice I noticed that I tend to try to interpret everything, trying to describe the undescribeable to my sitter . This is the first lesson Salvia is teaching me,,,shut up and go with it.
Anyone else get tired afterwards?
Dude

Re: Tired after Salvia

Postby Ulmdorgr » Fri Feb 11, 2011 2:14 pm

Yeah, I often get a light headache for a short while after smoking. It makes sense to be tired - your body was just numbed and now it wants to return to baseline. Sleep helps our body re-adjust to normalcy.

Don't try to interpret hypnagogic images, they are usually just chaotic patterns (moving pixels, tentacles, membranes, other shapes/lights). This is indicative of lower levels of psychedelic use. Congrats on getting them! I've only had patterned imagery once, from low level smoked consumption (like 2 hits, spaced out by 5-10 minutes, of 8x).

Look for memories, faces, and shapes. At higher levels things will be extremely blurry like the world is melting into the salvia rotations, or vivid like a lucid dream (you become a camera). It's like being awake while your subconscious dreams.

The best thing you can do is write about it and draw/paint images. Also, start a spreadsheet and list each attempt and what happened. Then you can easily compare.
Anything that I post is fictional and is purely part of my imagination. Do not attempt any of the activities described above.
Ulmdorgr

Postby nothim » Fri Feb 11, 2011 2:42 pm

i am the other way round --- i am not tired at all , in fact..., i can not sleep anylonger during that night

maybe because i try to interpret (analyze , remember , recollect, define....) what was going on.... :shock:
nothim

Postby Ulmdorgr » Sat Feb 12, 2011 4:46 am

I give up after recording everything I can remember, including images. I accept it. Let it settle.
Anything that I post is fictional and is purely part of my imagination. Do not attempt any of the activities described above.
Ulmdorgr

Postby Dude » Sat Feb 12, 2011 11:37 am

Thanks for the feedback.
As I said ,I am new to Salvia, and none of my friends have had any experience with her. I am 66 ,so maybe that has something to do with feeling tired afterward ?
I ordered plants from Bob (N.Y.) this last winter, only one survived, NOT bob's fault, it was just too cold in NY and too cold here in WA. He said that he will replace when the weather moderates, so no worries. I would like to have about 6 plants going and then pass along cuttings to all my friends, Salvia is a very interesting plant and I look forward to exploring her more.
Dude

Postby Ulmdorgr » Sat Feb 12, 2011 11:29 pm

Age is your biggest limitation.

Your body tries to maintain normalcy unique to you (genetic based neurology + modifications due to learning/reward pathways). That is, your body regulates the concentrations of chemicals in your blood at all times. When you introduce a psychoactive substance, your body acts quickly to exterminate it through metabolic processes or some other method.

As a result, you are physically tired.
Ulmdorgr

Postby Dude » Thu Feb 17, 2011 6:11 pm

Ulmdorgr wrote:Age is your biggest limitation.

Your body tries to maintain normalcy unique to you (genetic based neurology + modifications due to learning/reward pathways). That is, your body regulates the concentrations of chemicals in your blood at all times. When you introduce a psychoactive substance, your body acts quickly to exterminate it through metabolic processes or some other method.

As a result, you are physically tired.

SUX getting old
Dude

Postby RocketeerJim » Thu Feb 17, 2011 8:23 pm

Greetings from across the empire, Dude. Unless I miss my guess, your 66 years on this earth make you our senior member. Welcome.

I have been growing cuttings lately in my garage where the temp dips only down to low 40s or high 30s at night - about 8-10 degrees warmer than the outside. I am using a simple baker's type short wire shelf unit, the kind with 3 adjustable height shelves, the lower, growing space portion of which I've sealed with scotch-taped pieces of plastic trash bags over (on the outside surface of) which I have scotch-taped typing paper for more light reflection, then wrapped it all in USPS mailer boxes that are free from the post office. I use zip-ties to secure the boxes to the four uprights that frame the shelf unit.

I have a kind of "door" in the front that is three thicknesses of the post office boxes, all secured by two large paper-bundle clips. The growing space is about a little over one foot deep by thirty inches wide by two feet high, ample for a dozen cuttings in pots and probably would fit, alternatively, twice that many in glasses. It is lighted/heated from above by two 13-watt and one 20-watt CFL bulbs that I've installed, facing downward, in the second, 1 foot tall compartment that is not sealed by plastic but is also bordered around three sides and the top by the mailer boxes. I wrap the entire package in a child-sized sleeping bag that wraps around the back and sits on top of the whole unit during the day time and drapes down around the front and sides at night, secured with a bungee that wraps all the way around near the bottom. A bit of curtain material filling in the space under the bottom shelf insulates the growing space from the cold floor, and some recently cycled-out bed pillows behind and on the sides add more insulation. I keep the lights on a timer that turns them on at 5am and turns them off at 11pm so I use only about one kilowatt of power per day. The cuttings are doing very well as the plastic bags, and the pan with a half-inch or so of water I keep the pots in, keep the humidity up to about 70% or more so long as I don't keep opening it up and the temp hovers around 20 to 25 Celsius. Such a setup would take up a space of only about two or three square feet in one's home if one were so inclined. I keep a very thin black blanket over the entire package at night so it looks rather inconspicuous.

I've only been growing Salvia since late last May and I've learned an incredible amount from this forum as well as my other internetic meanderings.

As for the subject of your post, I've noticed that I also can be prone to slight headache after smoking a teaspoonful or so of the bare leaf. I also find I sleep well after using the bare leaf as aforesaid and I seem to be having lucid dreams beginning several nights after such usage. Incidentally, the effect I get from such consumption cannot compare to that which I achieve from a miniscule amount of extract of, say, X20 or an even smaller amount of X60. I am slammed into another dimension by these latter doses with full-blown visuals, and I have a sense that I'm in the presence of loving, patient entities and that I'm strangely once again at-home there. I have determined that, for me, time devoted to learning about these experiences, contemplating them and seeking out memoirs others have written about their experiences is time extremely well spent. I don't use the extract very often. . . . . I let several months can go by between such forays and spend the interim appreciating what I've learned from them. I'm so glad I found Salvia Divinorum . . . . never in my wildest imaginings did it ever occur to me that I could learn and benefit so much from any plant substance. It has changed my outlook on life, taken away my fear of death, and made me feel, for the first time in my life, that I am truly at one with the universe in the deepest sense.

BTW, I'll be 52 next month, God willing and the creek don't rise. :D

I hope you stick around and get acquainted with our little group here. We're quite diverse geographically and culturally, but we're very close spiritually. I feel a cameraderie with our members and believe we all have the best interests of our mother earth close to our hearts.

Cheers!
Life is short and you only get one. It is yours so use it selfishly. Find your true path and follow it. Be true to your own convictions. And love each other.
RocketeerJim

Postby Ulmdorgr » Thu Feb 17, 2011 8:44 pm

Dude wrote:SUX getting old

No, it sucks leaving behind what you're used to (plus experiencing additional pain and suffering). Ahaha. Strangely, this metaphor for aging is what I sometimes experience off of salvia, in totality or partially.

You can still have fun with it! I'm young, but I anticipate what's coming. Psychedelic use should be spread throughout your life to help you in times of confusion, but where you can maintain a strong scientific/ritualistic procedure while keeping an analytical mind available. These events give us new perspectives and in some cases, like salvia use, present us with strong and highly imaginative ideas and feelings. We can take what we see and help to integrate it into our lives. Perhaps you see memories of people, or things you love. Perhaps these are actually obsessions or things that hold you down. Maybe you'll get to experience "death" and feel more confident in life, less fearful of the unknown to come.

If your body is tired after using psychoactive substances, be thankful. Rest is in your best interest. I know people who abuse drugs on a regular basis and come away as ignorant as they were before whatever experience they had. Aside from the psychological benefits that they are missing, they are also being unhealthy, as the body has to rebound after each substance is metabolized and expelled.

To help you in your endeavors, you may want to adhere to some strict rules such as (ignore any that don't apply; I am writing to all people and myself here):
  • No sex, alcohol, cannabis, or nicotine the week prior to using an entheogen (basically, omit all extra consumption).
  • Fast for 24 hours prior, if possible (water ok).
  • Create a setting that is conducive to your personality: be comfortable, be warm, keep worried people away during the event, and keep things consistent. If you do it with the lights on, always do it with the lights on. If you do it with the lights off, always do it with the lights off (recommended; or with an eye mask but those can be difficult to equip if you blast off too quickly).
  • Get a high quality scale to measure your dose effectively (look for .001g or 1mg rated scales; they go for like $80-$600). Find a dose that gives you a subjective effect that you enjoy or appreciate (pain can be beneficial, don't throw your experiences away with quick bat of the eye and the label "bad trip"), and use that dose each time.
  • Put a minimum of two weeks between each trip (basically, a maximum of 2 a month). Although shaman may binge on their entheogen of choice, it is to help them get used to the effects and gain a mastery over the experience. This is not necessary to enjoy the benefits of a psychedelic trip. Awe can be very powerful.
  • For blast-off type trips, such as smoked salvinorin A or any substance in large amounts consumed rapidly (smoking, injecting, or snorting), it is best to already be seated where you will let things take over. My preference is on the floor, if it's soft and not dirty, or on a bed. It is best to be laying down all the way in case you tumble backwards onto the floor. Hitting your head is not ideal... Sit in a position that is comfortable for you. I have uncommon knee problems where I sometimes pop my knee out of place due to tension and particular rotation of either knee, so I do not sit in a cross legged, lotus, or half lotus position. If I sit, I sit with my legs out in front of me, comfortably.
  • Have a sitter to handle unexpected reactions, record words spoken, and keep you protected from objects near you.

RocketeerJim wrote:I hope you stick around and get acquainted with our little group here. We're quite diverse geographically and culturally, but we're very close spiritually. I feel a cameraderie with our members and believe we all have the best interests of our mother earth close to our hearts.

Definitely. This forum brings very like minded people together. If I had the money I'd start traveling to find you recluses. =) Plus, I still want to take you, Jim, up on that PWC spirit walk.
Ulmdorgr

Postby Eximius » Fri Feb 18, 2011 12:59 am

This is my first post. I've been lurking here (and a few other portals) for over a few weeks now and I'm grateful for all the information I've been able to gather thus far. Thanks to all that continue to contribute and donate their bits of wisdom to those us who need it, and many thanks to "Dude" and "Rocketeer Jim" for not making me feel too old (I'm 40) to be attempting something like this! :)

I find myself on a constant quest. I've delved in many religions from the popular ones to the obscure ones and after studying the sciences while in college I decided the best thing to do was to become an atheist for a while.

Long story short... The only constant thing driving me forward has been that spiritual itch inside of me that needs constant scratching, and so here I am, on the verge of taking a leap into the unknown once more. I've been trying to educate myself on the subject of psychedelics as much as possible, absorbing as much information as I can, learning from Paul Stamets, Dr Rick Strassman, the Mckenna Brothers, Jeremy Narby and so many others, and during my unsuccessful attempts to find fresh mushrooms in my area (I live in Seattle), I inadvertently and unexpectedly came across Salvia.

Two weeks ago I marked my calendar, and decided that the next full moon, Feb 18th, (Tomorrow) will be my "D" day. I've been preparing for this for occasion for a while now, and I'm fortunate to have the support of my beautiful bride, who will be acting as my 'travel assistant'.

Again, thanks to all those who have left their trails and bits of wisdom and advice. I hope to post details of my experience once I return back to this 'Reality' of ours.
Eximius

Postby nothim » Fri Feb 18, 2011 2:17 am

may the flow be with you and let God take care of you !
nothim

Postby DanG » Fri Feb 18, 2011 2:30 am

Eximius wrote:The only constant thing driving me forward has been that spiritual itch inside of me that needs constant scratching, and so here I am, on the verge of taking a leap into the unknown once more.

Tell me about it. I'm only 22 and i already feel very beat down by the current system. The only thing that keeps me going is the adventure of the unknown.

LOL i think i should call all of you pops from now on.
Oh yah please don't steal my youth hahaha
I hope for nothing. I fear nothing. I am free.
-Nikos Kazantzakis

Use Your Cellphone Camera for Close-up/Macro Photography
DanG

Postby Ulmdorgr » Fri Feb 18, 2011 3:48 am

This is my new favorite thread. I love you old guys.

Keep on man, and ask questions if need be. I can help you prepare for whatever substance you're about to indulge (I can't help with identifying shrooms, sorry). "The plan" is a very integral part of tripping, especially with long lasting hallucinogens like tryptamines (LSD, Psilocybin/Mushrooms) and phenethylamines (Mescaline/Peyote, 2C family).

My disciplined goal for all trips is to get something. Be it art, an idea, a resolution, acceptance, whatever. But you MUST record it, whatever it is. Recording the trip is less important (pre-launch variables, play by play replays, and post-op reflections are nice, but the THING is key!). Drawing is a great way to manifest an idea into a model. Salvia divinorum in particular can lead to some spectacular views, but unfortunately the only camera is your memory.

I can't stress this enough: if you're confused or unsure of something, send me a PM and I'll point you in the right direction.

nothim wrote:may the flow be with you and let God take care of you !

Wiser and cooler words were never spoken.

Also remember, everyone, that people like Maria Sabina and Timothy Leary were tripping until their last days. Here's one of my favorite clips: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7xw1vvCGRz4
(another one for good measure: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=woSNSAEv_4k )
Ulmdorgr

Postby DanG » Fri Feb 18, 2011 8:10 am

How dare you to call them old... Call them seasoned :lol:
I think karma will take it's place and i'll probably be a figure 7 with no teeth just gums by the time i reach 40. Even worse i'd be forced to get one of those prostate/rectal exams by a doctor with butch hands. :o
I hope for nothing. I fear nothing. I am free.
-Nikos Kazantzakis

Use Your Cellphone Camera for Close-up/Macro Photography
DanG

Postby RocketeerJim » Fri Feb 18, 2011 9:21 am

@my new friend Eximius
Welcome down from the "loft", Eximius. Glad to have you! I must say right off I envy you for your supportive bride. In my own home I find an air of something other than open acceptance of my interest in SD. But that is their problem! As for your spiritual itch, I PM'd you and hope what I sent gives you a few new insights.

@my good friends Ulmy and DanG and my new friend Dude: You're only as old as you feel and sometimes if I try really hard I can feel 19 again. The trick is to never feel older than you are. And as for the age appropriateness, I intend to go out on a massive wave of DMT. I hope you'll all join me and I'll certainly look for you!

@NotHim, whom, I believe, is truly wiser than he ought to be for his age: B, I always enjoy your posts and feel uplifted by your frequent spiritual inspirations. Your growing advice is top-notch! Thanks for enriching my life.

And finally, to friend Ulmy in re: the PWC: I'm certainly up for that but we'll need to plan ahead for it so I can raise the funds and ensure my bike is running well.
Life is short and you only get one. It is yours so use it selfishly. Find your true path and follow it. Be true to your own convictions. And love each other.
RocketeerJim

Next

Return to General Discussion