New Salvia Plant Section turning Black

Everything else. If you don't know where to post a topic, post it here.

New Salvia Plant Section turning Black

Postby Bowels » Sun Dec 07, 2014 9:25 pm

Hey so Ive had a really rough time aquiring a savlia cutting, and finally I got a seemingly healthy one... and i have placed it in an idea growing environment and covered witha plastic dome. For about a week now its been looking great but now a section in the middle of the plant is turning black. There area also some leaves coming up from the soil near the base of the plant.. so its making babies! What should I do? Should I cut the top section off and try and make a cutting? Or should I let it work itself out? What am I doing Wrong?
Bowels

Re: New Salvia Plant Section turning Black

Postby nothim » Wed Feb 25, 2015 10:36 am

photos please
nothim

Postby mr.banks » Sat Sep 19, 2015 2:36 pm

Every time I make a cutting the stalk goes a bit black. I don't know what causes it but I have only lost 1 out of 7 cuttings to darkness.

3's company.jpg
Three cuttings

3's company.jpg
Three cuttings
Attachments
Stalk on the left.jpg
Stalk on the left
The Man, not the Myth
mr.banks

Postby mj. » Sat Sep 26, 2015 4:46 am

mj.

Postby mj. » Sat Sep 26, 2015 9:06 am

mj.

Postby mj. » Mon Sep 28, 2015 10:58 am

Forgot to say make sure you are using distilled or RO at the least a filtered water not tap water. You could also try to root cuttings in a medium. I have had success with a mixture of 1/3 pine bark 1/3 coconut coir cut up into short 11/4" lengths with 1/3 regular potting soil that is abut 1/3 perlite. You don't need or want rich soil for rooting. This mixture will keep the cutting moist but allow for lots of air so you won't get rot the pine bark also prevents things from growing that you don't want. Good luck. mj.
mj.

Postby RocketeerJim » Sun Dec 06, 2015 10:59 am

Sorry, I've been away for awhile as the site turned into a ghost-town.

You have excessively long stem between nodes. The stem only sprouts roots at the nodes and all that excess stem will rot if submerged. Cut the mainstem so a max of about 1/2 inch is present below the lowest node. Then dip the stem in a rooting compound like "rootone" so it is covered with the powder/gel up to the node, place it in water maintained up to or a little higher than the dipped node and you'll have roots quite soon.
Life is short and you only get one. It is yours so use it selfishly. Find your true path and follow it. Be true to your own convictions. And love each other.
RocketeerJim

Return to General Discussion