RocketeerJim's Assorted Plants

Reserved for grow logs - Plant Pictures/Videos

RocketeerJim's Assorted Plants

Postby RocketeerJim » Mon May 02, 2011 10:34 am

Ok, I've paid for them and they're on the way. Here are the ebay pics provided by their foster Dad:

CALEA ZACATECHICHI

HAWAIIAN BABY WOODROSE

KONA COFFEE

PSYCHOTRIA VIRIDIS

SILENE CAPENSIS

I've already done the childbirth thing and I won't say the anxiety of waiting for these babies to arrive is the same as that. But its much more exciting than waiting for a Star Trek rerun to start!!
Life is short and you only get one. It is yours so use it selfishly. Find your true path and follow it. Be true to your own convictions. And love each other.
RocketeerJim

Re: RocketeerJim's Assorted Plants

Postby Ulmdorgr » Tue May 03, 2011 3:36 am

That's awesome! HBWR will give the best produce out of all of those, but I bet Calea gives a good harvest (a lot of people have had good experiences with that plant). Viridis, too, if it's legit.
Anything that I post is fictional and is purely part of my imagination. Do not attempt any of the activities described above.
Ulmdorgr

Postby RocketeerJim » Wed May 04, 2011 6:44 am

I feel very fortunate and, being an inexperienced gardener, I just hope I'm up to the challenge of caring for so many different plants! I'll do some research and shopping for appropriate soil and amendments today. I've added ebay Member dreamweaver0104 to my favorite seller's list for future reference.
Life is short and you only get one. It is yours so use it selfishly. Find your true path and follow it. Be true to your own convictions. And love each other.
RocketeerJim

Postby RocketeerJim » Thu May 05, 2011 2:31 pm

THE ARRIVAL: I paid for these on Monday May 3 and they arrived from Florida today May 6.

The Package as it arrived

Top View inside the package. Each plant bundle was taped securely to the side of the interior of the box.

Bottom View inside the package. Each plant had wet paper towel atop dirt, under "pot", encased in plastic bag and then wrapped in newspaper.

I cut open one side of the box and laid it out flat and this is what was inside!

Silene Capensis, African Xhosa Dream Plant

Hawaiian Baby Woodrose Plant

Psychotria Viridis - "Yage"

Hawaiian Kona Coffee

And this appears to be THREE Calea Zacatechihi plants!

Total price: $43.75 including priority shipping!

I haven't yet purchased the "cactus mix" and sand that I will mix with some mulch, about 1/3 each, which I believe is a good soil mix for these plants. Until I do, I'll keep them in the "nursery" that I built for Sylvia's clones. Since I only have three clones rooting right now, there's plenty of room!

Misted, with wet towels on catch tray underneath, together with Sylvia's rooting clones, and all ready to seal up for a day or two!
RocketeerJim

Postby nothim » Thu May 05, 2011 2:38 pm

nice !
i love the setup!
mine is smaller , way up smaller!
nothim

Postby Psikotrope » Sun May 08, 2011 7:37 am

I'm really digging that setup to man! How do you have the lights set up on top? It looks like you have plastic on top with some sort of lamps right on it. Could you share some details on how you put it all together?

Those plants are beauties. Best of luck growing them!
Psikotrope

Postby Ulmdorgr » Sun May 08, 2011 4:31 pm

How will you keep it humid in there and keep it warm?
Anything that I post is fictional and is purely part of my imagination. Do not attempt any of the activities described above.
Ulmdorgr

Postby RocketeerJim » Tue May 10, 2011 11:12 am

Well, this is a very basic, poor-man's setup using odds and ends I had laying around the house and a small (12" x 24" x 30") adjustable three (wire) shelf unit just like this one:

I placed the bottom shelf at its lowest possible position, and the top shelf at its highest possible position, and the midle shelf about eleven inches below the top shelf (NOT SHOWN). The space between the middle and bottom shelf is the growing space, and the space between the highest and the middle shelf is the lamp space.

I used six small disposable trash bags that are sold in rolls. Just like these:

The bags are pleated at the bottom but I cut away the bottom pleats of all six bags just like this:

The bags then unfold to a size about 23" x 24". I used ONE bag to cover the back of the growing space. I used TWO more bags which I trimmed down to fit the two sides. I used the TWO more bags and trimmed them to cover the top surface of the bottom shelf and the top surface of the middle shelf.

I used scotch tape to attach the rear, right and left bags to the vertical posts that hold the shelves up like this:

Thus, I enclosed the rear, left and right sides of the growing space with plastic.

Because the translucent bags let out a lot of the light (they are not particularly reflective), I scotch-taped ordinary 8 1/2" x 11" typing/copy paper to the outside surface of each bag, like this:

I covered the entire outer surface of the REAR, LEFT AND RIGHT bags with these sheets of paper (NOT SHOWN).

To hold in the humidity I also scotch taped the top and bottom edges of the back and side bags to the middle and bottom shelves and made sure the edges of the BACK, RIGHT, AND LEFT bags were completely sealed to the vertical posts holding up the shelves (NOT SHOWN).

Then I scotch-taped the BACK, RIGHT AND LEFT edges of the bags covering the bottom and middle shelves to the bags covering the BACK, RIGHT AND LEFT sides of the growing space (NOT SHOWN).

I attached the FRONT bag, which is the door to the growing space, only at the top, by scotch taping it to the front edge of the bag atop the middle shelf. The FRONT bag then drapes down over the entire front of the growing space like this:

Thus, the entire growing space was enclosed with translucent plastic bags covered with typing/copy paper and this created my humidity space.

Atop the middle shelf I placed three random portable light fixtures. I put 13watt CFLs in two of them and a 20watt CFL in the third. Total wattage, if you do the math, is 46.

So that took care of light and humidity.

While the "nursery", as I call the unit, was inside my house that setup was sufficient to provide light and humidity.

But my wife didn't like the looks of it :roll: so it was banished to my garage.

Although the garage is not so well insulated as the inside of the house, it seems to stay about 10F cooler in the day, and 10F warmer at night than the outside temperature. Anyhow, to protect the rooting plants against the somewhat moderated cold at night and heat during the day, I had to insulate the nursery.

As a first line of defense, I used shipping boxes that I cut to fit, and then scotch-taped to, the outside dimensions of the nursery. I used these boxes to cover the right and left sides, the rear and the top of the nursery (NOT SHOWN).

Then, I got creative and placed a trimmed piece of shipping box atop the plastic trash bag section covering the middle shelf. I made cutouts in that piece of shipping box so I could lay the three random lighting fixtures on top of it and allow the light to pass through the plastic bags.

Because the lamps are CFLS they do not get hot enough to melt the plastic bags even though they are lit all day even during the heat of summer. And because they sit atop the plastic bag covering the top of the growing space, they don't draw out the moisture within that space.

Next, to prevent bugs and other pests from getting around the trash bag/paper drape at the front of the opening, I trimmed another shipping box to fit snugly across that opening as shown:

You may notice that I positioned the boxes covering the left and right sides so that their "flaps" completely extended beyond the front edge of the nursery. The "flaps" on one side I used as "hinges" for a "door" I created out of four thicknesses of shipping boxes like this:

And I attached the "door" to the flap "hinge" using a medium-sized spring clip from my office supplies and you can see it at the upper left of the boxes in this photo:

When I close the "door" I place the "flaps" opposite the "hinge" side behind the outermost layer of cardboard and secure it with a second spring clip (NOT SHOWN). This "door" helps insulate the front of the nursery at night. The back of the nursery is somewhat insulated because the whole unit is placed right aganst the surface of the drywall covering the wall of the garage.

Also, you can see in the photo above that i am holding a cardboard "flap". That is just another section cut from a shipping box, the top surface of which is scotch-taped to the front edge of the top shelf. This "flap" drops down to cover the front of the "lamp space" and retains the lamps' heat on cold days and at night, whenever I close this "flap. When it is open, it simply lays atop the nursery.

Ok, as for the next line of defense against the winter cold, I have wrapped the entire nursery with a child-sized sleeping bag. My daughter is all grown up now so she doesn't need it any more and it was just sitting around in the garage so I used it. During the day I fold its "front" up and it sits atop the nursery as shown:

Note, you can see the "flap" in its lowered position here, and that's why you can't see the lamps in this photo.

At night I fold the sleeping bag down over the front of the nursery as shown:

I also cover it with a very light weight black blanket, and I run a "bungee" cord around the nursery to hold it in place as shown:

The pillow on top is just a bit more insulation for the top, to hold the heat in when necessary. Also, I placed a piece of cardboard, then a folded up blanket, on the floor underneath the nursery as added insulation from the bare concrete garage floor (NOT SHOWN).

I have a timer that turns the lights on at 5am and off at 11pm every day, into which I plugged a power strip with a ground-fault interrupting fuse, as shown:

So, that's my low-cost approach to creating a humidity-controlled, temperature friendly nursery for my cuttings. Once they're rooted, out they go!
RocketeerJim

Postby Psikotrope » Tue May 10, 2011 2:45 pm

Absolutely amazing!

I greatly appreciate you taking the time to upload all the photos and go through your construction process for us. What you've done is inspirational. I live in an apartment so I can appreciate what you habe done here. I have been trying to decide on a setup I could place in a spare closet upstairs. There are a lot of good ideas here. True MacGuyver stuff! My main fear has been lighting. A. I don't want to run high wattage lights all day and B. I don't want to create a high heat situation in an apartment closet. I.E. a tinder box, lol.

I'm brainstorming a setup similar to yours now. I really like tne use of the middle shelf for lighting. I'm going to google some info on lighting, cfl's and such. In the mean time can you (or anyone) make and suggestions for low cost lighting that will not get hot enough to create a fire hazard? It remains fairly warm in my apt and all that's needed for humidity is a closed environment and misting a few times a day. For example I can keep the humidity btw 65-73 in my current humidity chamber. So the heat from the lights is not a main concern.

Again it's really awesome you shared your setup with us. Thanks for taking the time bro!
Psikotrope

Postby RocketeerJim » Tue May 10, 2011 7:27 pm

Thanks for the compliments, psikotrope. I must admit there was no master plan for this. It just sort of fell together as I dealt with each of the plants' needs - beginning with humidity control. . . .

As for lighting recommendation, actually I selected CFLs due to their low cost. 46 watts is .046 Kilowatts x 18 hours per day is .8282 kilowatt hours per day at $.10 per kilowatt hour is only $.083 per day or $2.48 per month. I believe the light timer uses more power than the lights do! And the heat output of a CFL is so minimal . . . . One can painlessly hold the bulb while it is lit. If you're growing indoors full-time you should look for a window that provides indirect lighting. If that's not available, then simply add more CFLs. . . why couldn't you hang them by their cords from your closet hangar rod?? Just some ideas .. . . .
RocketeerJim

Postby Ulmdorgr » Wed May 11, 2011 1:29 am

Ahaha this setup is crazy, Jim. I love it. Next time you have to take it all apart of repairs you might consider coating the insides of the boxes with a reflective surface like foil.

I can't wait to see if it works!

As far as fire hazards go, Psikotrope & everyone else, it's a good idea to keep an eye on the setup daily. Smell around and check out the electronics whenever you can. If you leave on vacation or something make sure someone checks on the place.

Lighting costs are never a problem. The most expensive appliance you have in your home is your refrigerator.

P.S. Your floor looks filthy.
Ulmdorgr

Postby RocketeerJim » Thu May 12, 2011 2:12 pm

I'm glad you like it, Ulmy. As usual, your comments are right on point and very helpful. I don't know why I didn't use foil to begin with. Yes I do. I had no master plan and just felt plastic would keep the moisture in well, and the scotch tape thing was an afterthought. I should have used foil from the get-go. Tape sticks to it too! Next time!
RocketeerJim

Postby RocketeerJim » Mon Sep 05, 2011 4:29 pm

Here's a short photo update on my HBWR and Calea that I received four months ago.

Calea Zacatechichi

Hawaiian Baby Wood Rose
RocketeerJim

Postby nothim » Tue Sep 13, 2011 11:26 am

;) i like calea!
nothim

Postby Ulmdorgr » Tue Sep 13, 2011 9:22 pm

Huge calea! Sneaky HBWR. I didn't know HBWR was a vine! All of the morning glories I've seen around here are big bushes.
Ulmdorgr

Next

Return to Show Room