My Blosser Grow Log

Reserved for grow logs - Plant Pictures/Videos

Re: My Blosser Grow Log

Postby nothim » Sat Apr 23, 2011 6:47 pm

they should do, it was listed on ulmdy's link by the way.

Happy Easter to all!
nothim

Postby Psikotrope » Sat Apr 23, 2011 8:08 pm

Yea, I have an analogue pH tester with probes you stick in the soil. It always reads on the alkaline side. I do have a digital pH tester for liquid but I'm not sure if there is a way I could utilize it to confirm my analogue readings. Perhaps take a soil sample and mix it in a bit of h20 and stick the tester in it? The added water would alter the reading I assume.

Everything I've read seems to say SD loves an acidic soil.

And, yes, I love how difficult this is. I find it quite fun!
Psikotrope

Postby Ulmdorgr » Sat Apr 23, 2011 9:07 pm

Yeah as far as I know she wants a little acidity. I was just making sure your readings were correct, since that product warns that yellowing occurs with overly acidic soil. If that is true, which I am not sure about, then you'll either have to be confident in your readings, or you could stop adding stuff to the soil and see what happens over the course of a month.
Anything that I post is fictional and is purely part of my imagination. Do not attempt any of the activities described above.
Ulmdorgr

Postby Psikotrope » Sun Apr 24, 2011 6:33 am

Oh, I see. You never know. I'll try a few things to verify my pH.

Happy easter everyone!
Psikotrope

Postby Psikotrope » Sun May 08, 2011 8:46 am

That's a pic I just took. As you can see I've stripped the last few large leaves that remained. Yea, she looks kinda sick without and big growth now. I was thinking the remaining big, sick, brown leaves were sapping to much strength from her. So the theory was, remove them so the smaller new growth could get full strength. Not sure if its working yet as it's only been about 4 days since I stripped the last large leaves.

Also, I moved the plant away from the window where it was getting a lot of light. You guys suggested maybe that was causing yellowing of the leaves. The yellowing has not gotten worse at least. She's not getting a lot of light now but she still seems to be about as healthy as she was. I'm wondering if I should put her back in the window for a few days just to see if the sun will stimulate growth or start yellowing the leaves again.

I checked some soil with a digital pH meter for liquids and the pH was low, can't remember the exact reading though. It did confirm the accuracy of the analogue meter I think. I add a water bottle capfull of vinegar once a week although the pH doesn't seem to increase hardly at all. I wonder if I should add more?

It does seem like the leaves are browning more rapidly since moving away from the window and get a darker brown than before.

Opinions?
Psikotrope

Postby Ulmdorgr » Sun May 08, 2011 5:44 pm

She doesn't look so well, but there's still hope. People here should get used to pruning. It is necessary maintenance for all plants. Since plants can't rip their own leaves off, they can use our help when they kill off parts of themselves.

Remember that if she "dies," don't remove her from the soil for two to three weeks. Salvia divinorum is notorious for coming back from its decaying parts.

As far as lighting goes, I don't know what is best. That's up to you, methinks. Others may have better advice.
Anything that I post is fictional and is purely part of my imagination. Do not attempt any of the activities described above.
Ulmdorgr

Postby nothim » Mon May 09, 2011 2:12 pm

too much sun , too much temp, less humidity-- correct all these!
nothim

Postby Psikotrope » Sun May 15, 2011 2:37 pm

nothim wrote:too much sun , too much temp, less humidity-- correct all these!

Sorry, but that sounds like everything I was supposed to NOT be doing.

The temp sits around 23° - 26°c. The window seemed like to much sun, so she was moved to a hallway with half that in sumlight with no direct sun at all. Conditions worsened. The humidity ranges between 55 - 75. The onky way to get less humidity is to remove her from the humidity tent.

I've been thinking a lot about what I'm doing wrong here. I'm kind of at the point where I want to ween her off the tent and put her in her original spot downstairs with my other plants. She seemed to be getting sick however and everything I've done has led to worsening issues and loss of all leaves. The only thing healthy is the stem which I guess is keeping her from keeling over.

I'm not knocking anyones advice. It's all helped in some way. But there's just got to be something I'm missing here. Some quirk that's browning and curling the leaves.

Thankfully she is a trooper!
Psikotrope

Postby Ulmdorgr » Sun May 15, 2011 3:30 pm

Yeah, he's saying that's what you have right now. He meant to say, with those conditions, fix them!
Ulmdorgr

Postby Psikotrope » Sun May 15, 2011 3:51 pm

So, no sun, a temp below 25°, and less than 55 % humidity?

By the way I read somewhere earlier that high humidity and high heat causes the leaves to brown and curl. something about it.being to hot for the humidity. Which would align with what's being suggested here I think. The only thing was I didn't feel like the temp was wrong. Everything I've read suggest approx. 25°!?
Psikotrope

Postby Ulmdorgr » Sun May 15, 2011 4:50 pm

Temp is fine, it needs partial shade, and humidity above 70%.
Ulmdorgr

Postby Psikotrope » Mon May 16, 2011 7:56 am

Thanks Ulmy.

It scares me at times when the a/c is off and the temp is around 27° with high humidity. My other house plants wilt. I know SD is different but I wonder if that hurts her.

I'll report back in a week or so with a pic. Topping her has sprouted a couple new limbs! Happy about that.
Psikotrope

Postby nothim » Mon May 16, 2011 9:46 am

take the plant inside
outside the wind dries her too
inside if you have like 15-25 celsius she will be ok with no humidity tent if the roots are well established and ...it seems a vigurous plant from the photo so it will be ok
always have a shade in the window and do not let direct sun touches her
optional -you can mist from time to time
get the brightest spot in the house and place her there - again , with a shade in the window
do not overwater, it will tell you when to water - if you see the leaves saggy , that is the time - use fertilizers once a week and only in the growing season -- in winter use fertilizers once a month and water less
use a humidity tent if the temp drops below 15 celsius
if the leaves are very white -like a very light green --- it is too much water there
if it is too hot , like over 28-38 celsius -- water more -mist more - ventilate more ---here is trouble --you need to find a place to lower the temp -in these conditions the plant will suffer , it will not grow , the leaves will curve , dry and fall from the stem one by one, the stem will be ok but if the heat will not cease , the stem will dry too from top and eventually die.
heat is a killer
nothim

Postby Ulmdorgr » Mon May 16, 2011 1:49 pm

No, that's what she wants, psikotrope. She wilts when other plants do not.
Ulmdorgr

Postby Psikotrope » Thu Nov 10, 2011 12:30 pm

It's been months since I posted an update on my Salvia. I'd just about given up on her because she continued to get sicker and sicker no matter what I did to nurse her. Eventually I removed her from the larger humidity tent she was in because she took up to much room in my apartment. Since I thought she would die anyhow I used that space for another purpose. So I made a quick tent by poking sticks into her pot for a frame and wrapped it in cling wrap. I made a door on the top to water and mist and stuck her by the window. I simply misted her every day along with my other plants and after about 2 weeks something changed. She started to look really healthy and started sprouting new limbs and growth all over.

It was the weirdest thing. I believe the original tent was to large and didn't hold the humidity well. The smaller tent I assume keeps the humidity jacked up pretty high with daily misting AM and PM. Now she has tall new limbs which appear to be growing roots. I've read she clones herself by becoming top heavy and falling over sending new roots into the soil. It looks like this is what is happening. I plan on waiting a few weeks and trying to clone her by making a cutting from one of the limbs with white stringy roots hanging off.

Sorry I don't have a picture to show off. I'll try to get one up soon. Thanks for the help everyone!
Psikotrope

PreviousNext

Return to Show Room