My Blosser Grow Log

Reserved for grow logs - Plant Pictures/Videos

My Blosser Grow Log

Postby Psikotrope » Thu Mar 17, 2011 12:04 pm

So I'm finally getting a grow log started. This log is for a Blosser I bought as a rooted cutting a little over two months ago. I already posted details on her ecosystem in a thread in the cultivation forum where I was asking for help with some deformed growth. I posted the same info below to have it in the log.

The following has been her ecosystem: She sits on a table with my other plants in front of a south facing window which has blinds so no direct light. It does get fairly bright in the room though. She's potted in a ten inch pot and is around 12-14 inches high at this point. The soil is regular miraclegrow potti.g soil which I mixed a little sand in to drain better. She gets watered twice a week, wednesday and saturday. I mist two to three times daily. Every couple weeks I add about a teaspoon of 5% vinegar to her distilled water for soil acidity.

Below are the first photos I took at about 2 months old. These were taken on 3/7/11.

You can see some of the deformed growth in the above pic. Everyone in my cultivation thread thinks she will be fine so I'm taking their expert advice.
Psikotrope

New pics 3/17/11

Postby Psikotrope » Thu Mar 17, 2011 12:18 pm

So I took new photos today. I made the adjustments as per my post in my cultivation thread viewtopic.php?f=6&t=536 and I don't think I made any progress. In two days no watering and only misting as well as moving her to a shaded place away from the window didn't cause any improvement. So I'm putting her back in the window which has blinds so it doesn't get direct sunlight. I think she liked the light level since after I moved her she wilted slighty.

I still need to buy a humidity gauge and a moisture meter so I can be a bit more precise in figuring out the best ecosystem for her. She hasn't grown a lot since 3/7 but you can now see she is getting holes in the deformed new growth. Only one or two but still...trying not to worry about it.

Psikotrope

Re: My Blosser Grow Log

Postby Ulmdorgr » Thu Mar 17, 2011 6:51 pm

My initial assumptions seem off. The plant does like it isn't doing well, although it is getting by. I'm stumped, but I still think its an overwatering/low humidity problem (primarily because some of the leaves are turning brown on the tips). Get started on making a humidity dome of some sort. Nothim makes the best. PVC frame with layers of clear plastic tarp over it.

Holes indicate a pest problem of some sort, unless the leaves are in really bad shape and are just deteriorating quickly. Do they feel brittle? Maybe she's under watered... careful on that one.
Anything that I post is fictional and is purely part of my imagination. Do not attempt any of the activities described above.
Ulmdorgr

Postby Psikotrope » Mon Mar 21, 2011 9:49 am

Just wanted to drop a quick note, I will post a pic later. Yea, the new deformed leaves are somewhat brittle. The older growth with the browning leaf edges has pretty much been that way since I received it. For the last four days it has been in a makeshift humidity tent I made out of tent poles and an oven bag. It seems to have improved a little. I got my humidity gauge in the mail today. The humidity outside the tent is 55% and inside is 85%. The temperature is around 25c on average so I'm good there. I'm definitely thinking its a humidity issue. I'm headed to Walmart in a bit to get supplies to build a more permenant humidity tent. Any pointers on how to keep a good flow of air to it? I don't wanna suffacate it.
Psikotrope

Postby nothim » Mon Mar 21, 2011 12:40 pm

just open to see them now and then , and it(they) will be all right.
nothim

Postby Psikotrope » Mon Mar 21, 2011 3:58 pm

Okay, so in the above pic you can see the humidity tent I constructed. I used a wooden eating tray. I attached brackets to the corners and used plastic tent poles slid over the brackets. I used cling wrap for the sides and an oven bag on top. I didn't tape down the top so I could get inside and also allow a little air in. At the moment the temp is 26c and the humidity is 85% inside. I moved it upstairs by itself in a window on the same side of the apartment where it was with my other plants.

She's still hanging in there in spite of my inexperience. Perhaps I'm doing something right! ;)
Psikotrope

Postby DanG » Tue Mar 22, 2011 12:02 am

I can see from the picture that she doesn't get direct sun but does get reflected light which is a good thing. I think you've done everything you could. Now all you should do is wait and watch her grow! Regular misting will help too but you already know that :)
I hope for nothing. I fear nothing. I am free.
-Nikos Kazantzakis

Use Your Cellphone Camera for Close-up/Macro Photography
DanG

Postby nothim » Tue Mar 22, 2011 12:03 am

it is ok, but in less than a month it will be taller than the tent.
you have to take cuttings ----use small pots instead----
nothim

Postby Psikotrope » Tue Mar 22, 2011 2:24 am

Thanks for the encouragement! In spite of her being sick I think she has grown around 5-6 inches. I can't verify that but comparing a bad pic I took when I first potted her with her today thats what I'd guess.

I put her by the bed so I could develop a better relationship with her. And I also placed a statue of Hanuman with her to protect her because at some level she is Sita, Ram's wife. Not that she needs protection, lol. Call me corny if you want! ;)
Psikotrope

Postby DanG » Tue Mar 22, 2011 2:46 am

Indeed! Have a relationship with the plants :) It's all about energy.
In my opinion the best way for the plant to know you is to show her your true self. You don't need to act all angelic like all the time and just be.

Oh yah, if your plant grew then she is okay! If growth halted then that's the time to figure out why
-Nikos Kazantzakis

DanG

Postby Psikotrope » Mon Mar 28, 2011 2:00 pm

Just posting a quick note. Things are looking good with my salvia. She's sprouting new growth that isn't deformed! The older growth hasn't changed much but it does look healthier considering. I don't expect much from the older growth of course but I'm extatic that she's getting better. I guess we can now be sure she was suffering from the low humidity environment. Luckily she fought hard while I was learning proper care technique.

I will post a couple new pics in the coming days so you guys can judge.
Psikotrope

Postby DanG » Tue Mar 29, 2011 1:57 am

Good to hear!
What doesn't kill salvia will only make her stronger :lol:
It will be locked in her genes forever!
-Nikos Kazantzakis

DanG

Postby Ulmdorgr » Tue Mar 29, 2011 2:06 am

Unfortunately, her genes won't change. As far as cultivars go, genes will go bad if rigorous selective breeding isn't performed...
Anything that I post is fictional and is purely part of my imagination. Do not attempt any of the activities described above.
Ulmdorgr

Postby DanG » Tue Mar 29, 2011 2:17 am

Oh yah. as long as it's a clone nothing will happen.. It needs to be seed grown for epigenetics to occur.
*nosebleed!* too scientific for me
-Nikos Kazantzakis

DanG

Postby Psikotrope » Tue Mar 29, 2011 7:39 am

You guys are a riot!
Psikotrope

Next

Return to Show Room