Sally 4th try

Reserved for grow logs - Plant Pictures/Videos

Re: Sally 4th try

Postby Ulmdorgr » Fri Jan 21, 2011 11:18 pm

You might want to prune the dying leaves. They usually don't recover.
Anything that I post is fictional and is purely part of my imagination. Do not attempt any of the activities described above.
Ulmdorgr

Postby nothim » Sat Jan 22, 2011 3:01 am

it looks ok, mind the misting though ! (the soil will get soggy fast without even notice)

regarding the unrecovered leaves as ulmdy said , it is your call ---- i , one, i would have left them on for helping with photosynthesis , they will fall (detached) when they are no good ----maybe i am wrong , again , i do not question ulmdy idea and finally it is your call.

getting back- if they are keep in the sealed bag , there is no need for too much misting and water , -- another option, you can use a tray for each pot , only fill the tray with water , and water when the tray is dry -- ofcourse - test the soil with your finger -if it is moist -you do not water or mist ---- you have to mentain the cycle of moist and almost dry , please, chaps make this last phrase more englishable --- the plant has to go through this cycle during water( ing)

try to gather some rain water somehow instead of using tap water or use one teaspoon of acetic acid (vinegar) or apple cider to one liter of water to lower the ph each time you water
nothim

Postby DanG » Sat Jan 22, 2011 5:41 am

Thanks for the advice Ulmy and Nothim.

I promised myself not to do anything to my new friends other than lightly misting them and moving them to a cooler spot.
I wasted a perfectly good cutting that i got from Bob Smith way back last June because i was too impatient with the growth.
I kept nudging the plant and kept misting incessantly throughout the day... Didn't survive even a week!
I also think i gave it too much sun... Anyway here's the pic of that cutting.
06182010219.jpg

I'll give it till day 8 because that seems to be my benchmark on knowing if the plant will pull through or not.
I'm going to be patient and not overdo things this time :)
I hope for nothing. I fear nothing. I am free.
-Nikos Kazantzakis

Use Your Cellphone Camera for Close-up/Macro Photography
DanG

Postby DanG » Sat Jan 22, 2011 5:46 am

nothim wrote:if they are keep in the sealed bag , there is no need for too much misting and water , -- another option, you can use a tray for each pot , only fill the tray with water , and water when the tray is dry -- ofcourse - test the soil with your finger -if it is moist -you do not water or mist ---- you have to mentain the cycle of moist and almost dry , please, chaps make this last phrase more englishable --- the plant has to go through this cycle during water( ing)

try to gather some rain water somehow instead of using tap water or use one teaspoon of acetic acid (vinegar) or apple cider to one liter of water to lower the ph each time you water

I sprinkled a few amounts of water at the bottom of the bag on Day 1. I have misted the plants maybe a total of 3 sprays for each cutting on day 2 and haven't misted them since.

I have a large container of rain water here :D I'll take your advice and use em with some vinegar.
-Nikos Kazantzakis

DanG

Postby nothim » Sat Jan 22, 2011 6:40 am

it's ok.

the cutting from the photo looks alright , the stem is green and only the top of it is a bit white(ish) green probably of intense heat along with a lot of humidity--- if you had ventilated daily, you would probably have saved her!

if they are in the humidity bag , and that bag is sealed and you only open it to see them and to ventilate the air then, there is no need for extra misting at all ---the soil is moist already and the water which evaporates will fall inside the bag or will stick to the lateral walls of the bag - only a small amount will escape when you open the bag but you will compensate that loss when it is the time to water them.

here is a photo to see the mist from the inside plastic walls

http://www.flickr.com/photos/boolie2010 ... 439061574/

ventilate - that is the key for the moment
nothim

Postby DanG » Sat Jan 22, 2011 7:47 am

I was very inexperienced that time and i was new to the forum. I just learned a valuable lesson from that unfortunate event.

The bag that i am using has one of those micron filters. Air can go through the bag but i still open it at least once a day.
As far as humidity is concerned, i think i'm okay here. The plants aren't drooping in any way.
The leaves has improved from the moment i got them so i think they are responding well.

The heat well, i'm going to monitor the plants regarding this issue. I'm optimistic though :D
Some info about our climate:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/world/city ... t=TT002730
-Nikos Kazantzakis

DanG

Postby nothim » Sat Jan 22, 2011 10:35 am

seeing the chart , ...i think...you will be able to populate the whole island with the plant.

you can plant it in the forest with no stress, at least experiment with a few cuttings in the future after you learn the plant.

it is always moist and warm , the temp never drops 14 celsius and regarding the highs, probably it is colder in the forest---
nothim

Postby DanG » Sat Jan 22, 2011 6:09 pm

That's what i like to hear! And planting Sally in the forest is actually my goal :D
I hiked a mountain a couple of times and it was difficult to judge the temperature with our skin. The forest felt humid but it was definitely cooler than the city.
This was last summer April '10.

Nature is really beautiful :D
-Nikos Kazantzakis

DanG

Postby nothim » Sun Jan 23, 2011 1:39 am

if you could breath easily , and if your body felt nice , not too hot , nor too humid , just perfect feeling for you, then the temp was perfect too.
let no one know the place , make it a secret spot just for you and you alone to know.
nothim

Postby DanG » Sun Jan 23, 2011 2:57 am

nothim wrote:if you could breath easily , and if your body felt nice , not too hot , nor too humid , just perfect feeling for you, then the temp was perfect too.
let no one know the place , make it a secret spot just for you and you alone to know.

I am not worried about people finding out where i'll plant them. In the forest almost all vegetation looks the same :lol:
It's also not as distinguishable as cannabis and Salvia not all that known here.

Anyway, day 4 is up:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected] ... 886056624/

Some of the rot turned black but didn't get bigger. I think I'm okay :)
The leaves drooped a little bit when i took them out for pictures. Must be because of the high winds. They didn't like it very much.
After less than 1 hour in the humidity chamber they are back to normal.
-Nikos Kazantzakis

DanG

Postby DanG » Sun Jan 23, 2011 3:30 am

Thanks for the comments Nothim.
So far so good! :D
-Nikos Kazantzakis

DanG

Postby RocketeerJim » Sun Jan 23, 2011 7:56 am

They're off and running!! Congratulations on your new family, DanG!
Life is short and you only get one. It is yours so use it selfishly. Find your true path and follow it. Be true to your own convictions. And love each other.
RocketeerJim

Postby DanG » Sun Jan 23, 2011 9:53 am

RocketeerJim wrote:They're off and running!! Congratulations on your new family, DanG!

There's a lot of work to be done my friend! But all these will be worth it if they can adapt the weather :D
-Nikos Kazantzakis

DanG

Postby nothim » Sun Jan 23, 2011 12:11 pm

it would be funny if you pull it through , break the ice and soon we-ll see on wiki something that the plant lives in other parts of the globe without being a cultigen

btw, can anyone spread luna here ? or can anyone get in touch with a cutting ?
nothim

PreviousNext

Return to Show Room