Sally 4th try

Reserved for grow logs - Plant Pictures/Videos

Sally 4th try

Postby DanG » Thu Jan 20, 2011 2:54 am

I wanted to try salvia in agar and here it is.
I bought mine at mysalvia.net. Relatively new site, he even told me that i was the first to order.
So i bought 3, he gave me 5. it was 50+USD including the shipping. Arrived less than 10 days

The cuttings were placed in plastic cylinders with agar and then mailed in an envelope. Unfortunately they got squished.
01202011389.jpg

01202011388.jpg

Good thing the envelope is sealed and it kept the babies humid. As you can see they are still green and alive

So here's what i did:
I soaked the cuttings in water and i let them sit for 5 minutes. After that i removed the agar solution as they say it can cause rot if planted in soil.
01202011390.jpg

Here are two of the best looking plants (judged by the root length):
01202011391.jpg

01202011392.jpg

I think i've preached before about sterile soil. I BECAME A HYPOCRITE! I was so pressed for time that i didn't treat them anymore. Good thing i have an unopened sack of commercial soil and i that's the one i used.
01202011393.jpg

I placed the cuttings in a Mushroom spawn bag :lol:
01202011395.jpg

01202011397.jpg

The whole set are now under a shade outside. Temperature is around 30'C / 85ish 'F
I have a good feeling that my 4th time will be a charm :)

Note: The packaging was an issue at first but i saw that the cuttings are in good shape except for one that was snapped in two. But who am i to complain? He gave me 2 extra cuttings :D
I hope for nothing. I fear nothing. I am free.
-Nikos Kazantzakis

Use Your Cellphone Camera for Close-up/Macro Photography
DanG

Re: Sally 4th try

Postby nothim » Thu Jan 20, 2011 2:05 pm

find a way to lower the temp to 20 -25 celsius !!!!! if indoor is cooler , bring them in , by the window , no direct sunlight at all, inside the humidity room!

also, create a flickr account, and post photos daily , we'll comment upon the photos !
nothim

Postby Ulmdorgr » Thu Jan 20, 2011 8:01 pm

Very cool! Make sure to send them a link to this thread so they can see your review. It is important to business owners to know that their customers are satisfied. Also, establishing good communication and trust can be more than beneficial to you in the long run.

Remember that salvia can recover from even the worst of situations, so just sit tight. Zombie/Phoenix salvia is quite peculiar.
Anything that I post is fictional and is purely part of my imagination. Do not attempt any of the activities described above.
Ulmdorgr

Postby DanG » Thu Jan 20, 2011 8:30 pm

I mentioned this forum to the seller:
MYSALVIA.NET is the site :)

I think he only sells to legal states and countries. Just coordinate with the guy if you want cuttings.

@nothim
Here is the link of the flickr account

The minimum temp last night was 24.6'C. Right now it's 28.5; i took a peek at the ladies a few minutes ago and the leaves are upright. I think they're fine with the temperature :) I'll post pics in a few, my cellphone is still charging.
-Nikos Kazantzakis

DanG

Postby DanG » Thu Jan 20, 2011 10:14 pm

Day 2 is up! Click HERE
Taken around 11am.
They look alright to me :) The leaves seem to be more upright than yesterday.
I'll monitor the growth(via macro shots) and give updates next week!
-Nikos Kazantzakis

DanG

Postby Ulmdorgr » Thu Jan 20, 2011 11:43 pm

This one looks healthy: http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected] ... 871574132/

I think you can do it!
Anything that I post is fictional and is purely part of my imagination. Do not attempt any of the activities described above.
Ulmdorgr

Postby DanG » Fri Jan 21, 2011 2:02 am

To tell you the truth, they all look good :)
If i get to pass one week without problems then that'll be a milestone for me :))

I have a good feeling they'll make it this time; This is why i posted them here. I didn't have the confidence on the previous batches so i figured to not post them here because it'll spread bad vibes.
-Nikos Kazantzakis

DanG

Postby DanG » Fri Jan 21, 2011 7:35 am

nothim wrote:find a way to lower the temp to 20 -25 celsius !!!!! if indoor is cooler , bring them in , by the window , no direct sunlight at all, inside the humidity room! !

It is warmer inside because we have poor ventilation.
Min Temp- 26'C
Max Temp- 32'C

This is the cooler months by the way. Hope i can make them hardy enough to survive the summer.
Ironic isn't it? Most of you worry about the winter, i worry about the summer.
-Nikos Kazantzakis

DanG

Postby nothim » Fri Jan 21, 2011 7:41 am

they look alright , all . do not remove the damaged leaves !

post photos daily! do not move or stress the plant in any way, if they accomodate there and they are ok , leave them there .

do not experiment with agar or gelatin -it is crap -i tried it too and the plant did not like it and died.

check the soil for humidity -- it will be needed only humid, moist. if it is , do not water more. open the bag and ventilate it daily if it is hot like 30 celsius

do not use fertilizers for the moment till the plant show good signs of growth, like new developed leaves...

do not forget - post photos daily !

we are here to help.
nothim

Postby nothim » Fri Jan 21, 2011 7:53 am

This is the cooler months by the way. Hope i can make them hardy enough to survive the summer.

it is not about them to make them hardy, they will never be , it is about you to understand them on what to do during summer

you will have to have a small greenhouse by then and find a place where is cooler during summer , you will need a proper shade during summer too...we are here ;)
nothim

Postby DanG » Fri Jan 21, 2011 7:54 am

I checked the min temp last night, it was actually 24'C. It's about 10PM now and there's a slight mist of rain outside. The temp inside the mushroom bag is 25'C.
I didn't remove any leaves but i believe i placed half an inch worth of compost at the bottom of each pot. The rest of the soil above is store bought regular potting soil.
I hope that is okay. Oh yah, i placed a few pebbles at the bottom of the pot to improve drainage.

I just gave the leaves a few mists when i took them out for photos but it's no too much water. Store bought soil is already moist so i just sprinkled a few amount of water on 'em. I already learned my lesson before.

I'll post in the flickr account as much as i can.
Now i can't take any pictures because it's dark outside and i don't want to move them. But i took a look and they seem to be doing fine. Leaves are not drooping.

Thanks for all the help! :D
-Nikos Kazantzakis

DanG

Postby DanG » Fri Jan 21, 2011 7:58 am

nothim wrote:

it is not about them to make them hardy, they will never be , it is about you to understand them on what to do during summer

you will have to have a small greenhouse by then and find a place where is cooler during summer , you will need a proper shade during summer too...we are here ;)

I placed the mushroom box in a small box. The only light that will go through it is at the top. I checked the temperatures after i did this and it showed that the temp inside is half a degree cooler than outside. I let them have some indirect sunlight when it was 4-5pm (Sunset time).
-Nikos Kazantzakis

DanG

Postby nothim » Fri Jan 21, 2011 8:10 am

good,

the cardboard is ok for the moment due to that fact that they were in the dark during shipment , but later on you will have to give them as much light as possible ( no direct sun light at all !!!)
nothim

Postby DanG » Fri Jan 21, 2011 8:13 am

okay! thanks for the advise. I'll only put them in there when the sun is really hot. A shade is definitely cooler than places that are getting hit by light
-Nikos Kazantzakis

DanG

Postby DanG » Fri Jan 21, 2011 9:19 pm

Day 3 is up! Taken around 10AM.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected] ... 752433707/

I noticed some black spots today but i looked at the pics from yesterday and the spots were already there. I think i am still okay.

Note:
-Plants leaves are not drooping
-Temp around 29'C
-Min temp last night 24'C
-Nikos Kazantzakis

DanG

Next

Return to Show Room