Kratom Strain?

Reserved for grow logs - Plant Pictures/Videos

Kratom Strain?

Postby DanG » Wed Dec 15, 2010 2:34 am

Help! Nature blessed me with seed grown Kratom. Unfortunately i have no idea what strain they are.
These are about 2-3 months old. Had 9 germinate (1 still super small since it popped up 3 weeks ago)

12152010339.jpg

12152010340.jpg

12152010341.jpg

12152010343.jpg

12152010344.jpg

Anybody have any idea what strain they are? I bought a seed pod a few months ago but the seller didn't list the strain. Contacted him/her but left with no reply.
I hope for nothing. I fear nothing. I am free.
-Nikos Kazantzakis

Use Your Cellphone Camera for Close-up/Macro Photography
DanG

Re: Kratom Strain?

Postby Ulmdorgr » Wed Dec 15, 2010 5:04 pm

I'm not sure what strains are available to choose from. They may not vary much in how they grow/look (I don't know kratom at all), so it's possible you won't be able to identify it... Keep researching.

http://forums.mycotopia.net/botanicals- ... ratom.html (scroll down)

http://www.kratom.net/content.php?41-Mi ... om-strains
Anything that I post is fictional and is purely part of my imagination. Do not attempt any of the activities described above.
Ulmdorgr

Postby DanG » Wed Dec 15, 2010 9:42 pm

Then i shall dub thee: "Kratom - Kratom strain" and let it be. :lol:
-Nikos Kazantzakis

DanG

Postby DanG » Wed Dec 15, 2010 9:55 pm

Note that these young plants don't like dry air. I experimented on these as i placed one outside while i continue to mist it frequently and i placed the rest inside a terrarium. Did this for about a month and the one outside turned pale green and didn't show new signs of growth. The others inside a humidity chamber they grew quite nicely especially those whose soil are very moist. But if one can manage to get a live plant then do so. It's more convenient.
-Nikos Kazantzakis

DanG

Postby SF » Fri Dec 24, 2010 11:28 am

Dang very nice seed grown kratom plants there.

i could be wrong but they do look a little different then the thailand kratom strains. maybe they are Malaysian?
where did you buy/order or obtain your seeds from?

If your interested i would be willing to swap strains with you. I have a few very healthy refat strains that have very good roots and are well established. ill send you one of the rifats for one of your seed grown, let me know if your interested.

Did you grow them from seed yourself? i hear there hard to grow from seeds. Looks like you did a very good job.

thanks for the pictures
SF
Site Admin

Postby DanG » Sat Dec 25, 2010 9:05 am

I just googled Kratom seeds a few months back and it led me to this site:
http://www.shamanic-extracts.com/xcart/ ... iable.html

It was a little expensive but it was cheaper than getting a live plant here.
Besides during that time i tried getting live caapi plants and all came up dead after 10 days in the mail. I was discouraged so i bought a seed pod.
I don't really spend my pay on anything else so i tried the seeds. It was about 2-3 weeks when they germinated? The last one after 8 weeks i think? I guess i just got lucky.
I used 80% silica sand(that was the only available sand at the nursery that time) and 20% coco peat and sprinkled the seeds on top. Misted them and placed in a terrarium covered with plastic. I would say it was around 80-90'F inside there when they germinated.

I am willing to give you a plant or two but only when they are hardy enough. I'm still too cautious with the plants as you can see they are still quite small. Give me a few more months and i'll PM you with the update. I have no experience in shipping live plants internationally(I am from the Philippines), so this will be in a trial and error basis.
-Nikos Kazantzakis

DanG

Postby SF » Thu Jan 13, 2011 12:00 pm

i cant wait to see what these look like when there growing fast.

Once i put my Rifat's out in the full sun of summer they take off like crazy. The top leaves always look redish then when they get larger they turn green. Its pretty neat to watch them. Id like to make a time lapse video if i had the capabilities. Kratom tree's are one of my fav.

I am also wondering now that if you grow your tree and bring it indoors every winter once the stem stock get to be a few inches wouldnt that protect it from cold and maybe you could plant them outside. It would be nice if they could survive the winter's around here and grow 20 feet tall.
SF
Site Admin

Postby DanG » Thu Jan 13, 2011 9:57 pm

I'm from the Philippines, it's always warm all year long.
What i did not realize is that Kratom grows in some parts of our country. It's called mambog.
This is definitely not that strain that i have as i purchased the seed from an international vendor.

I haven't placed my seedlings outside the humidity chamber. They seem to like being in a humid environment; i noticed that they grew quicker when in there. I also observed that the young one's that are in smaller pots grew faster as well. I concluded that they must have focused on root growth during the early stages.
I had two 3 inch babies and i decided to repot one of them in a larger pot. The one that was in a smaller pot is now bigger than the one in the larger pot.

By the way, i just saw my 10th germination a few weeks ago. They must like the weather here :)
-Nikos Kazantzakis

DanG

Postby SF » Mon Jan 17, 2011 1:18 am

DanG wrote:I'm from the Philippines, it's always warm all year long.
What i did not realize is that Kratom grows in some parts of our country. It's called mambog.
This is definitely not that strain that i have as i purchased the seed from an international vendor.

I have been noticing that Kratom is very wide spread and there are so many different strains.
Its really amazing that so many countries have there own type of Kratom.

If you are able to obtain a cutting or seeds or your local strain let me know.
I am very interesting in studying the unique characteristics of each strain. We may even be able to construct some sort of strain guide for everyone.

Thanks for sharing.
SF
Site Admin

Postby DanG » Mon Jan 17, 2011 8:29 am

SF, is it true that there's a potential of getting different strains from the same seed pod? I mean look at Salvia, seed grown salvia is usually a different strain right?
So who knows, maybe the environment here could shape up the seedlings into something different. I WILL send you a live plant! I do have 11 growing now and that's a lot to me!

Kratom isn't well known here so it's difficult to find. Trees look all the same to me except for coconuts :lol:
I'll play dumb and ask around in my area; Maybe i can get some better info

Oh yah, when you get your seeds to germinate don't transplant them until they are a few centimeters tall or it'll stunt the growth! And keep them humid!
-Nikos Kazantzakis

DanG

Postby DanG » Tue Jan 18, 2011 7:14 am

Update:
Philippine Kratom is "mitragyna rotundifolia"
http://www.kratomshop.com/rubiaceae.htm
-Nikos Kazantzakis

DanG

Postby Ulmdorgr » Tue Jan 18, 2011 5:46 pm

According to that link, you would have Mitragyna parviflora (http://www.biotik.org/india/species/m/m ... rv_en.html), which is not Kratom.

You leg might have been yanked...
Anything that I post is fictional and is purely part of my imagination. Do not attempt any of the activities described above.
Ulmdorgr

Postby DanG » Tue Jan 18, 2011 10:35 pm

I am honestly confused! I've read feedbacks that say that Philippine Kratom is smoother than Maeng Da Kratom.
I even emailed the supplier about Philippine Kratom and he offered to buy the leaves if i was able to locate them.
Maybe the tree is really native here, it's just not well documented.

I'll figure it out soon
-Nikos Kazantzakis

DanG

Postby Ulmdorgr » Wed Jan 19, 2011 12:50 am

The kratom shop link you put up is really poorly made. It simply discusses traits common to members of the rubiacae family, cinchonoideae sub-family, and tribe coptosapeltae (Google yields practically nothing on this name).

Mitragyna speciosa is kratom, regardless of regional differences. If you know you have the philippine strain, then you have the right plant. Mitragyna parviflora is NOT philippine kratom. When you get a full grown tree, then you can start to try and identify if it is legit or not.

Species tracking is so poor over here in the U.S. Everyone uses common names, I hate it. Although for smaller plants they usually have one of those little plastic sticks with a name/picture on it. I don't trust them though.
Ulmdorgr

Postby DanG » Wed Jan 19, 2011 4:59 am

I'm a mess man, sorry. The plants that i am growing now are definitely not Philippine Kratom. I bought the seeds from an online vendor and i think it's thai kratom.

The Philippine Kratom is called "Tagalog Mambog"
I've read through about it here
I emailed herbresearch.com(mentioned in the link above) and he replied with great interest so it might be true.

After all that somebody mentioned to me that Mambog is native somewhere in Puerto Galera(Philippine territory). I googled it up and found an article somewhere that the Mambog there is "mitragyna rotundifolia".

However from this government site it's called Mitragyna speciosa. That is why i am confused. To make matters worse, i am not a botanist and i have a poor eye on trees.

I do however have a lead in getting this Mambog. The correct identification of the species is another story.
-Nikos Kazantzakis

DanG

Next

Return to Show Room