Some of my plants

Reserved for grow logs - Plant Pictures/Videos

Some of my plants

Postby DanG » Sat Sep 11, 2010 3:22 am

Okay last time i posted the pictures of my plants were in the introduction section which i deleted a few months back. Got a little paranoid :lol:

Mimosa Hostillis:
3 months ago, very limp because i placed it in the terrarium. Found out that they are not fitted for that type of environment as out of 6 seeds that sprouted, only two survived. Lesson learned.

Now it's under a shaded area because there was too much rainfall during the 3 month span.

P.alba
3 months ago, stuck in same terrarium along with a lot of plants. didn't look very well.

between before and now:
Moved them outside and repotted into slightly acidic soil. Plants slow to grow and leaves were very small. Most of the leaves below withered and dropped. Maybe because of new environment(less humid and more sunlight). A couple of weeks ago I decided to spray giberrelic acid on the leaves. Observed that it did have an improvement on the plant as the next leaves were significantly bigger than before and there are now leaves(probably soon to be branches) growing on where the leaves dropped.

Thoughts: Gibberellic acid is sexy. Just use once every 6 weeks.

Kratom seeds finally sprouting. 3 in total but too small to get captured by cellphone camera. Thought they were weed at first but saw that it was attached to the fine seed. Took them 3 weeks to germinate under humid conditions. I'm worried about the mold forming on the soil. Will repot the babies once they grow a few more set of leaves.
No special treatment were done with the seeds. Just sprinkled in moist soil and waited.

Also had Sun opener seeds sprinkled on soil and now germinated. Too small for picture will update soon.

Still waiting to germinate:
Hawaiian Baby Woodrose (soaked in GB3 for 24 hours)
Calea Zacatechichi (soaked GB3 for 24 hours) - reason why i bought gibberellic
Wild lettuce aka Opium lettuce (sprinkled on top of soil as instruction suggested) - been 2 weeks

more to come. have several seeds coming from greenman. exited about Silene capensis aka Xhosa Dream Plant
DanG

Re: Some of my plants

Postby Ulmdorgr » Sat Sep 11, 2010 5:59 pm

What is GB3?
Ulmdorgr

Postby nothim » Sun Sep 12, 2010 12:20 am

nothim

Postby Ulmdorgr » Sun Sep 12, 2010 2:15 pm

Thanks boolie, that's what I thought it was. Surprisingly, I hadn't read up on Gibberellic acid until now, and I understand now why it is so amazing.
Ulmdorgr

Postby DanG » Sun Sep 12, 2010 9:21 pm

Pardon me, i meant GA3. But yeah, the chemical is amazing. Considering a few grams of the compound can go a long way(probably 1 gram per year if you have a small collection of plants).

They sell it in ebay: http://shop.ebay.com/?_from=R40&_trksid ... Categories
Think it will help any farmer out there.

Additional note:
Ever read this? http://articles.sfgate.com/2005-06-12/n ... ient-cures
DanG

Postby Ulmdorgr » Tue Sep 14, 2010 9:51 am

What do you do, just rub it on an area you want to grow?

That's a pretty cool plant! I wonder how it's doing now. It's a tree, right? So it's gonna take forever to really get up to where it can produce its own.
Ulmdorgr

Postby DanG » Wed Sep 15, 2010 9:14 am

Ulmdorgr wrote:What do you do, just rub it on an area you want to grow?

Gibberellic acid needs to be dissolved in alcohol(70% above). I scooped up a few milligrams of GA3 and put it in a shot glass with a few amounts of 70% rubbing alcohol. Then i placed the shot glass under a flame and waited till the liquid boiled. The GA3 will dissolve after a few "boil then let it cool" tries. Then the substance should be added in water and not the other way around or else it'll crystallize(tried it for who knows why :lol:) There's a computation in the net to how you'll get the PPM(parts per million). That'll be grams of GA3 to how many liters of water.

I used 100PPM on mine and [url]sprayed the substance on the leaves[/url] as GA3 is said to be a root "stagnant-or" (pardon my made up words). Maybe you can dose a cotton bud on the liquid and rub it on the leaves maybe that will be more efficient.

Ulmdorgr wrote:That's a pretty cool plant! I wonder how it's doing now. It's a tree, right? So it's gonna take forever to really get up to where it can produce its own.

I think it's a palm tree. Nonetheless GA3 is badass man!!! It's like steroids for plants :lol: I'm just not sure to how it'll affect the alkoloids...
DanG

Postby DanG » Fri Sep 24, 2010 4:10 am

Update: 9/24/10

HBWR seeds rotted. Had two batches, one soaked in GA3 and the other in water. All were nicked away from the germ eye before the 24 hour water treatment. 10 seeds=dud.
Won't soak in water for my next try.
Note: Some growers discourage water treament.

Opium Lettuce probably a dud too. 30 seeds rotted. Don't know what happened because it was just placed in a terrarium.

Calea Z.: Ah. well it's calea.

Mimosa Hostilis:
I can't help but laugh at my mistake of leaving my germinated M. Hostilis in the terrarium:
germinated about the same time as the one pictured a few posts ago.

Now the small one and the cool looking plant is in full sun. All i can say is that they love it! No doubt about that.

The bigger one is about 2 feet tall and what's interesting now is that it has a potential cutting at the bottom part:
Greenman suggested to layer the branch. Will try it out in a few days.

Kratom:
Bought a kratom seed pod sowed about a month ago. 7 Germinated in a little over 2 weeks.
Still too small but i'm happy nonetheless.

Sun opener

ARIOCARPUS RETUSUS
First time growing cactus and so far only one germinated

Betel Vine
bought in the nursery. Doing quite well :)

B. Caapi - ? Strain
spoiled this one in the terrarium that's why it couldn't stand the outside. I call this one bubble boy.
Will buy B. Caapi seeds next week because it's already on season :D must make them hardy!!!
DanG

Postby DanG » Tue Sep 28, 2010 9:37 pm

HBRW update

Saturday night:
nicked 5 seeds away from the germ eye and i soaked them in water for 3-4 hours. Placed the water treated seeds between two moist(not damp) paper towel that was then placed in a ziplock bag. Took a peek tuesday night and all discovered that all germinated and today(wed morning) transferred them in individual pots.

I give a thumbs up to the paper towel method :D
DanG

Postby Ulmdorgr » Wed Sep 29, 2010 5:32 pm

Success! I remember doing the wet paper towel method in school as a child with some sort of clover.

What about coleus?
Ulmdorgr

Postby DanG » Fri Oct 01, 2010 9:52 pm

Coleus isn't really growing as fast as i thought it would be. I re-potted them a couple of weeks ago maybe they are focusing on root growth. I'll let you know when i can already send the cutting to you.

The seed grown are coleus are still green. I just hope birds don't pick em out.
DanG

Postby Ulmdorgr » Sat Oct 02, 2010 7:04 pm

No worries. I am just glad they are alive!

It's going to start getting quite cold here any time now. I'm not sure if weather detracts from a small cutting's ability to survive. If I get a plant I will be growing it indoors and primarily with artificial lighting (a small 60W CFL).

Why not put some sort of wire dome around the seeds?
Ulmdorgr

Postby DanG » Wed Dec 15, 2010 2:18 am

Ulmdorgr wrote:No worries. I am just glad they are alive!

It's going to start getting quite cold here any time now. I'm not sure if weather detracts from a small cutting's ability to survive. If I get a plant I will be growing it indoors and primarily with artificial lighting (a small 60W CFL).

Why not put some sort of wire dome around the seeds?

oi! Will send this on January 2011.

I think she's good to go. Took a peek at the roots, i can see them growing at the bottom. PM me your address Ulmy.
I hope for nothing. I fear nothing. I am free.
-Nikos Kazantzakis

Use Your Cellphone Camera for Close-up/Macro Photography
DanG

Postby DanG » Wed Dec 15, 2010 2:49 am

Crazy couple of months. Still hectic today but i think i owe this forum some logs. I don't pay the hosting damn it! :lol:

**UPDATE** 12/15/10
12152010315.jpg
B. Caapi - maybe tucanaca strain. less than 1 yr old.

12152010317.jpg
B. caapi leaf size

This was used to be babied in a terrarium. Had to acclimate it to the outside weather. It's now under 2-4 hour direct sun and it's growing a pair of leaves every 5 days or so.

I wasn't the most confident man on botanical acclimatization so i bought extra seeds. I'm now waiting for them to germinate.
12152010338.jpg
definitely tucanaca strain
-Nikos Kazantzakis

DanG

Postby DanG » Wed Dec 15, 2010 3:21 am

P. Alba
12152010329.jpg
P. Alba - less than a year old

12152010328.jpg
P Alba leaf size

They are growing a pair of leaves every two weeks or so. I noticed that the leaves are getting bigger and the plant is growing faster as well. I don't plan to make cuttings nor harvest 'em for a brew until i'm satisfied with the height so I'm thinking 4 more years and this plant will be as tall as me :)

P. Viridis
12152010334.jpg
couple of baby viridis - 1 month old

12152010335.jpg
leaf size

12152010337.jpg
height

Took 1 month to root the leaves and another 3 months to sprout seedlings! Got impatient 2 months after rooting them so i sprayed 100PPM GA3 on them. Don't know if it had an effect but they did show signs of new life after that.
-Nikos Kazantzakis

DanG

Next

Return to Show Room